FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
LOS ANGELES (May 7, 2009)– Nexon America Inc. ( www.nexon.net) welcomes gamers to celebrate the fourth anniversary of its epic free-to-play game, MapleStory (maplestory.nexon.net). Launched on May 11, 2005, MapleStory became a legend in online games with its amazing social features, rich art style and open world opportunities. Players have flocked to MapleStory with over 92 million worldwide users and over six million users in North America.
Maplers have traveled through the many lands of the game’s vast world, as well as unleashed the game’s traits of individuality and freedom beyond its game borders. Players have turned MapleStory into an online video mainstay through blogs, community fan sites and fan videos. Over 200,000 videos are available by searching MapleStory at YouTube.
“After four years of service in North America, MapleStory continues to evolve and surprise us all. We are very grateful to our loyal fans and this celebration is for them,” said Min Kim, Nexon America’s Vice President of Marketing.“MapleStory fans have helped create something special and we’re going to reward them with new, exciting content to enjoy throughout the summer and beyond.”
The anniversary celebration will feature:
• Fourth Anniversary Maple Weapons - Monsters will be dropping special anniversary weapons. Or the players can exchange previous anniversary weapons and Maple Leaves for new Fourth Anniversary Weapons, Maple Hats, Maple Shields, Maple Earrings, or Fourth Anniversary Scrolls.
• Item Upgrades - Maple Hat and Maple Earrings obtained through monsters are upgradable using Maple Leaves. The earrings can be upgraded by completing additional quests.
• Leveling Up Event - Each time players levels up, they will receive Maple Leaves. The number of Maple Leaves rewarded will vary depending on the level. Higher level players will receive more Maple Leaves.
• GM Events - The GMs will run special events and summon last year’s anniversary boss, Big Puff Daddy, at random times.
• Monster Transformations– Any player can transform into one of MapleStory’s monsters for a given period of time.
• 4 Candle Event - Nexon is giving away 1,200 prizes over 40 days, including in-game items, Nexon Game Cards, digital cameras, iPod Touch and a laptop computer. Players who play for 40 minutes will receive a candle. Once a player has a candle, they can receive up to four pieces of cake for each successive 40 minutes of game play. Players who get four pieces of the cake will have a chance to win.
• Maple Quiz– Players can take the Maple Quiz. For every question a player gets right, five Maple Leaves and a special cake will be rewarded.
There will also be daily events to commemorate the anniversary. Go to http://maplestory.nexon.net for further details.
About Nexon America Inc.
Nexon America Inc. is the North American operations and publishing arm of Nexon Group, a pioneer of interactive entertainment software and the world’s leader in massively multiplayer online games. Based in Los Angeles, Nexon America was founded in 2005 to bring the best of online entertainment to the North American audience. The company’s growing library of titles includes the world famous franchise MapleStory ( http://maplestory.nexon.net), the new fantasy life of Mabinogi ( http://mabinogi.nexon.net), the fast-paced, first-person shooter Combat Arms ( http://combatarms.nexon.net) and will soon include the exciting arcade action of Dungeon Fighter Online. The foundation of all Nexon America titles is the item selling business model, in which users access the full game for free and can later opt to pay for game enhancements.
MapleStory is a 2D side-scrolling massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) launched in North America ( http://maplestory.nexon.net) in May 2005 and now has over six million registered users in North America. With a warrior, magician, bowman or thief character, players can band together in guilds to fight monsters and explore dungeons, play mini-games, upgrade their characters in the Nexon cash shop or socialize online. MapleStory features cute and colorful 2D graphics and is played by more than 92 million players worldwide.