17 th May 2013 – The next game in SEGA’s Sonic the Hedgehog series will be exclusive to Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, with Nintendo President Satoru Iwata announcing details of a worldwide partnership with SEGA during a new Nintendo Direct video announcement today. Sonic Lost World is a new action-adventure platforming game, and more information about it will be announced before the E3 2013 video game trade show begins on 11 th June.
The Nintendo Direct also announced a new addition to the Mario & Sonic series, the first appearance for the series on Wii U, as well as revealing launch dates for Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101 and New Super Luigi U.
“We're delighted to be forming this new partnership with SEGA, and bringing new games in the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise to Nintendo systems,” said Laurent Fischer, Managing Director of European Marketing and PR at Nintendo of Europe. “We hope fans are as excited as we are when more details will be shown closer to E3."
To view the Nintendo Direct in its entirety, visit http://nintendo.co.uk/nintendodirect .
Today’s Wii U announcements included:
· Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games : The game includes a variety of sports including curling, skiing, snowboarding, figure skating pairs and snowboard slopestyle. Different events might use the Wii Remote Plus controller, Wii U GamePad or both. In addition to realistic events, the game also includes those set in the worlds of Sonic and Mario that let players perform moves not possible in real life. Launch details and timing will be announced at a later date.
· New Super Luigi U : The Year of Luigi-themed downloadable content for New Super Mario Bros. U offers players 82 updated courses. But it also includes a new playable character in multiplayer mode, Nabbit, who steals items from Toad Houses. New Super Luigi U will be released as downloadable content for New Super Mario Bros. U on Nintendo eShop on 20 th June. But in honour of the Year of Luigi, Nintendo is also offering a standalone packaged version of New Super Luigi U that doesn’t require New Super Mario Bros. U, available for a limited period and due for release on 26 th July.
· The Wonderful 101 : The superhero action adventure from Platinum Games launches on 23 rd August. More details about the game will be released gradually between now and launch.
· Pikmin 3 : New playable characters Alph, Brittany and Charlie are to take over from Olimar, the main character who appeared in previous Pikmin games. Another announcement is the use of the GamePad (known as the KopPad in the game), where players can view the overall map and grasp what each character and Pikmin are up to. Pikmin 3 is coming to Europe on July 26 th.
· Game & Wario : The game launches across Europe on 28 th June, and includes 16 games that use the GamePad in different ways. Newly revealed games include: ISLANDS, which lets two to five people launch little creatures called Fronks onto islands in the sea to score points; PATCHWORK, a puzzle game that tests players’ pattern-recognition skills; and KUNG-FU, which challenges players to help Young Cricket navigate a course safely using the forward-looking view on the TV and the top-down view on the GamePad. A new Iwata Asks feature just published offers more details about the game at http://nintendo.co.uk/iwataasks.
· RESIDENT EVIL REVELATIONS : Capcom’s survival horror game is launching in stores and on Nintendo eShop on 24 th May. The game originally released for Nintendo 3DS, and the Wii U version offers players updated HD graphics, GamePad controls and new game content. The game is Miiverse-compatible, and a demo version is currently available on Nintendo eShop.
A separate Nintendo Direct sharing further news on future Wii U content will be aired around the time of E3.
For assets please visit - http://assetslibrary.nintendo.co.uk/
Nintendo Direct Presentation
- URL - http://youtu.be/Z3hZDCpeNKo
- Embed code - <iframe width="1280" height="720" src=" http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z3hZDCpeNKo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
- URL - http://youtu.be/O7JhQ_dRjX4
- Embed code - <iframe width="1280" height="720" src=" http://www.youtube.com/embed/O7JhQ_dRjX4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
- URL - http://youtu.be/6gOLZGd4dRA
- Embed code - <iframe width="1280" height="720" src=" http://www.youtube.com/embed/6gOLZGd4dRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
For further details:
Nintendo Direct website http://nintendo.co.uk/nintendodirect
Nintendo Direct on Ustream http://www.ustream.tv/NintendoUK
Wii U (UK) on Facebook http://facebook.com/WiiU.co.uk
Nintendo 3DS (UK) on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Nintendo3DSUK
Nintendo UK on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/NintendoUK
Nintendo of Europe on Twitter https://twitter.com/nintendoeurope
Nintendo UK on Twitter https://twitter.com/nintendouk
- ENDS –
The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii U™ and Wii™ home consoles, Nintendo 3DS™ and Nintendo DS™ family of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System™, Nintendo has sold more than 4.1 billion video games and more than 654 million hardware units globally, including the current-generation Wii U, Wii, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi™ and Nintendo DSi XL™, as well as the Game Boy™, Game Boy Advance™, Super NES™, Nintendo 64™ and Nintendo GameCube™ systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names such as Mario™, Donkey Kong™, Metroid™, Zelda™ and Pokémon™. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of Europe, based in Grossostheim, Germany, was established in 1990 and serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in Europe.