For Immediate Release
SEATTLE - May 6, 2009 -- Penny Arcade announced today that it is now accepting applications for the Penny Arcade Scholarship for the 2009-2010 academic year. Established in 2007, the Penny Arcade Scholarship is a $10,000 award granted every year to one qualifying applicant intending to make a positive impact in the game industry.
The application process includes a two-page essay describing the applicant's studies and intent to benefit the game industry, two letters of recommendation and a copy of current academic transcripts. Applications will be evaluated based on a student's demonstrated leadership, commitment to community service, character and financial need.
1. Must be a full-time student attending an accredited college or university in the United States during the 2009-2010 academic school year (currently enrolled in a program; high school seniors are not eligible).
2. Must intend to enter the game industry in some capacity
3. Major: may be in any field
4. GPA: 3.3 minimum on a 4.0 scale
5. Each award is for one year only. Winners may not re-apply for subsequent Penny Arcade Scholarships.
6. Any number of students from an institution may apply.
Submissions must be postmarked by June 15 to qualify.
This year's winner will join an august group of past scholarship recipients who have already gone on to apply their hard-won skills in industry positions and ground-breaking projects. Further information on the selection criteria, application process and past winners is available at www.penny-arcade.com/pas, or by writing to email@example.com for details.
About Penny Arcade: Equal parts online comic and commentary, Penny Arcade ( www.penny-arcade.com) keeps its finger on the pulse of the gaming industry, prompting conversation and controversy alike from community members and industry experts. What started as a hobby in 1998 for Jerry "Tycho" Holkins and Mike "Gabe" Krahulik has grown into an online phenomenon serving over 70 million page views a month to millions of readers worldwide. In addition to the comic strip and PAX gaming festival ( www.paxsite.com), Penny Arcade has expanded its reach to include a growing line of merchandise, a video game and management of Child's Play ( www.childsplaycharity.org), a gamer-driven charity for children that spans the globe.
Contact: Carolyn Carnes
Flash Fire Communications