SAN DIEGO, Calif.– August 18, 2009– Sony Online Entertainment LLC (SOE) today announced that gamers can play Free Realms™ in five new, fully-localized and supported languages: French, German, Spanish (Castilian), Spanish (Latin American) and English (UK). Originally launched in English (US) on April 28, 2009, Free Realms is a free-to-play, family-friendly online video game that has more than four million registered players engaged in the whimsical virtual world.
“With Free Realms, we constantly strive to lower the barrier to entry for gamers, and localized language support is another example of that,” said Andy Sites, senior producer, Sony Online Entertainment.“Now, gamers of all ages and regions can play together in any of the supported languages and enjoy the fully-localized voice over audio, in–game art, on-screen and web site content with ease.”
A first for SOE games, all existing and new players can play in any of the supported languages on any Free Realms server. Players can begin playing Free Realms in their language of choice by visiting the localized versions of www.FreeRealms.com where a server with the highest population of players playing in their preferred language will be recommended. Chat and profanity filters that support all languages have also been implemented. All languages have full customer service and community team support as well.
In Free Realms, players can customize their characters and play a wide variety of minigames in a safe, online environment, packed with stunning visuals, distinctive environments, and social networking capabilities. Fun for the entire family, players are free to do or be anything: Become a ninja, cook a yummy meal, battle goblins, set out on epic quests or connect with friends through a safe, social networking page. Free Realms also features a trading card game playable both digitally within the Free Realms online game and through a physical game available in the US wherever trading cards are sold!
Free Realms offers a variety of features, including:
• Free Gameplay: Free Realms is free to play; however, additional content can be accessed through a Membership or micro-transactions.
• Rich Character Creation: With thousands of customizations and combinations, you can blend fantasy and reality to create your perfect avatar.
• Be Whoever You Want: Characters aren’t locked into classes or jobs– you can be a ninja one minute and a race kart driver the next.
• Kid Safe: Free Realms is designed with kids’ safety in mind and has pre-canned chat, reporting, filters and Parental Controls that allow for the customization of security options for younger players.
• Something for Everyone: Players can take care of pets, sort mail, destroy cars in demolition derbies, battle goblins or cook meals for their friends.
• Vibrant, Deep Environment: Adventurous gamers can spend hours exploring towns, bustling cities, beaches, forests, snowy mountaintops and more.
• Connect with Friends: Whether you’re meeting up with old friends or finding new ones, Free Realms allows players to stay connected through its social networking page. Just log in, see what your friends have been up to, click their avatars and join them in Free Realms.
• Everyone Can Access: Free Realms is designed to run on nearly all PCs. The game will stream to your PC as you play, so Free Realms will not take up a lot of memory and will download quickly.
• Trading Card Game: The Free Realms Trading Card Game will let players pit fun characters like dragons and goblins against one another in fun, fast-paced combat. Half the game is collecting new cards so you are armed with the best lineup of attacks and defenses to prove your might in online tournaments.
Free Realms is rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and up with content descriptors of Crude Humor and Fantasy Violence. To play Free Realms, visit: http://www.FreeRealms.com.
Press assets: http://www.soepress.com/product.asp?s=72
About Sony Online Entertainment
Sony Online Entertainment LLC (SOE) is a recognized worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online games, with hundreds of thousands of subscribers around the globe. SOE creates, develops and provides compelling entertainment for the personal computer, online, game console and wireless markets. Known for its blockbuster franchises and hit titles including EverQuest®, EverQuest® II, Champions of Norrath®, Untold Legends™, and PlanetSide®, as well as for developing Star Wars Galaxies™, SOE continues to redefine the business of online gaming and the creation of active player communities while introducing new genres on various entertainment platforms. Headquartered in San Diego, CA, with additional development studios in Austin, TX; Seattle, WA; Denver, CO; Tucson, AZ and Taiwan, SOE has an array of cutting-edge games in development.