London (17th March 2010)– Square Enix Ltd., the publisher of Square Enix® interactive entertainment products in Europe and other PAL territories, is partnering with DC Comics’s WildStorm imprint to create a custom comic series that will explore the rich and mysterious back story of the upcoming Action-RPG NIER®. NIER, whose unique content, characters and hidden, twisting storyline has transfixed gamers and media alike for months, will be available for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft on 23rd April.
The NIER comics, which will be released between now and launch, will reveal tantalizing clues about key characters from the game, including the title-character Nier; his disease-stricken daughter, Yonah; a conflicted and foul-mouthed fighting companion, Kainé; and, the talking book with an attitude, Grimoire Weiss. In addition, the NIER comics will address questions that have yet to be answered, namely, what led to the fall of humanity to a vicious plague? How was the deadly disease, The Black Scrawl, introduced to the earth? And, where did the terrifying Shades come from and why do they torment the few remaining survivors of the plague?
“We are really excited to partner with the storytellers at DC Comics to further explore the complex tale of NIER; to explore its unusual characters; and, to introduce new fans to a storyline that will challenge what they know from beginning to end,” said Larry Sparks, Vice President Brands PAL Region of Square Enix Ltd.“DC Comics’ ability to create colourful and engaging comics will help to deliver NIER’s unusual story to gamers and prepare them for what lies ahead in the game. By exploring the comics, gamers will understand the basis of Nier’s world before they even pick up a sword or cast a spell.
There will be three NIER comics in all, each telling a unique, yet overlapping, story. The comics are being created by DC Comics’ renowned creators and illustrators, including Emmy-winning creator and executive producer Ricardo Sanchez; Pop Mhan, whose work has
appeared on everything from Spider-Man and Ghost Rider at Marvel Comics to Batgirl and The Flash at DC Comics; Eddie Nuñez, who has worked on notable comic book titles as Justice League of America, Deathblow, and Lego’s Bionice, was the Lead Character Designer on the bestselling Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment’s Arkham Asylum and is the Lead Concept Artist on the DC Universe MMO from Sony Online Entertainment.
The NIER comics will be available on the game’s official Web site at http://www.NIERGame.com, on Xbox LIVE® Arcade for Xbox 360, and on PlayStation®Store for PlayStation3 between now and April 27.
The latest offering from the RPG-masters at Square Enix, NIER is an“Action-RPG” that blends traditional RPG gameplay mechanics with intense, bloody combat and powerful magic to create an action-packed single-player experience where players explore and discover a future lost to a shadowy past.
Developed by cavia Inc, NIER delivers on Square Enix’s renowned pedigree for creating unique and twisting storylines coupled with deep character development– a pedigree that has kept gamers around the world enraptured for decades.
Players will jump into the title role of the unyielding Nier as he begins his desperate quest to discover a cure for his daughter, Yonah, who is stricken with the deadly Black Scrawl disease. Armed with powerful magic as well as mighty swords, Nier will battle alongside formidable allies against waves of dark enemies and giant bosses to discover the truth about the disease, his daughter…and himself.
For more information about NIER please visit the official website at www.niergame.com
· The new action adventure from Square Enix: NIER, the newest franchise from RPG masters Square Enix, delivers unique and memorable characters, intense action-packed battles, explosive magic and storytelling...
· Unbelievable Story Twists and Reveals: Immerse in an amazingly intricate storyline set in a world plagued by human anguish, buried secrets and a ravaging disease. With plot twists hiding around every corner, NIER’s story needs to be seen to be believed.
· RPG-Style Gameplay Injected With Action-Packed Combat: Battle ferocious and mysterious enemies by combining proven RPG-style gameplay, such as magic, character development and faithful allies, with action-focused explosive swordplay and combat.
· Powerful Magical Abilities: When his sword isn’t enough, Nier can call on a remarkable array of stylish and powerful spells to augment his combat moves and overcome adversaries. As players progress, upgraded spells will help defeat ever-more-deadly enemies.
· Brutal Combat Moves: Face off against evil creatures and unleash brutal combat moves along with devastating combo attacks. Unlock an arsenal of devastating weapons, each with its own design and attack style.
· Formidable Allies: Travel with a dynamic party of allies and do battle against monstrous giants as a powerful and united party.
· An Imaginative and Stunning World: Travel across an unforgettable world filled with varied landscapes featuring the hauntingly familiar remains of modern society.