Squeak is a tiny mouse who, like any mouse worth his whiskers, loves cheese. Problem is, he eats so much of it before he goes to bed, he has the strangest dreams! Squeak dreams he’s bouncing in the sky on top of balloons under which pink elephants dangle. Other nights, he dreams he’s deep under the sea, leaping between bubbles that turn into fish as he tries to reach a huge cheese high above. And then there’s the one where he rides a pencil like a rocket through the stars...
This is Squeak’s Dreams, an iPhone game coming to the US and UK App Store on December 12, 2011. It’s the first game from three-times videogame Guinness World Record-holder Justin Towell, who woke up on New Year’s Day this year with the sudden thought: “I’m going to make an iPhone game”. Not knowing a line of programming code, he bought an iMac (working extra to pay it off) and used free game creation software GameSalad™ ( www.gamesalad.com) to bring his cheesy dream to life. Almost a whole year later, here it is, available for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S and iPod Touch 3rd Generation and later.
- Three beautiful naturalistic areas to explore - the garden, the river and the house
- Peaceful, violence-free gameplay. The worst that happens to Squeak is a 5 Cheese penalty for touching a mouse trap.
- Stunning graphics with multi-layered parallax scrolling and even into-the-screen pseudo 3D!
- Photographic imagery for backgrounds mixed with hand-drawn artwork
- A custom soundtrack full of real electric guitar as well as synthesized instruments
- Several gameplay variations - Run about on foot, ride a dragonfly, bounce on balloons and follow a UFO through space. Only in your wildest cheese dreams!
- Replay value - Can you get all three Big Cheeses from Squeak’s Dreams to truly finish the game?
- Ducks that quack when you bounce on them.
Squeak’s Dreams plays like classic 2D side-scrollers of the 1990s, only with touch-screen direction pad and jump button. The control method is simple enough that anyone can pick it up, although controlling Squeak as he bounces on ripening blackberries and ivy leaves will test even the most hardcore gaming fanatic.
Squeak’s Dreams contains an original soundtrack, composed and performed entirely by Justin, from the rock song ‘Pirate Queen’ playing on the radio in the kitchen to the beautiful and haunting piano piece that plays as you bounce through the clouds. Likewise with the sound effects - the noise Squeak makes when he jumps is voiced by Justin, as are the hoverflies and the sound of the dragonfly’s wings. As the credit says: Game Engine by GameSalad™, everything else by Justin Towell. Yes, that goes for the quacks too.
The game has been approved for sale and will be released on the UK and US App Stores (and may follow soon in more territories) on 12/12/2011 for £0.69/$0.99, for ages 12+. Limited codes are available for review - please contact Justin through Twitter via @catgonecrazy if you’d like to receive one for review in your publication. For more information about the game, please visit www.squeaksdreams.com
Squeak’s Dreams copyright 2011 Justin Towell