Remember Vlambeer's Super Crate Box? Well, at the GameCity festival in Nottingham (on the 22/10/2013) RGCD and Vlambeer will be launching Super Bread Box, the official, fully-featured Commodore 64 port by Paul Koller.
I'll give you a second to compose yourself. OK?
I won't bore you with explaining what Super Crate Box is, nor why it shouldn't be even possible on the C64, and will instead list some of the main features of the 8-Bit port below:
- EXPLOSIVE GENUINE 8-BIT ACTION! Running at full 50Hz on the 64KB RAM, 1MHz Commodore hardware, Super Bread Box pushes the machine to its very limits!
- THREE NEW LEVELS! Super Bread Box features the original three levels from Super Crate Box, plus three new and exclusive levels inspired by the C64 scene!
- 16 PLAYABLE CHARACTERS! Including three exclusive cameos!
- SID CHIP RENDITIONS OF EIRIK SUHRKE'S OST! Forget Famitracker - Goattracker is where the real party is at!
- ALL THE WEAPONS FROM THE ORIGINAL! Yes, including the disc-gun.
- ...AND ONLINE SCORES! What? Yep, Super Bread Box has its own website ( www.superbreadbox.com) where you can enter codes generated by the game to upload your scores and keep a record of the total number of 'bread boxes' collected worldwide! When you register you can even opt to receive email notifications when your score is beaten(!)
The game will be available to buy in three flavours:
A REAL Commodore 64 cartridge, boxed with stickers, a poster, manual and other goodies (£30).
As an A2/A3 poster & download bundle (£5).
Or as a download (£1.99).
The download comes as a cartridge rom ready to run with the 32-Bit Windows version of the VICE emulator (tested on XP and Win7). VICE is also available to download for a wide variety other OS.
You can also download the limited 16KB version as a 'proof of concept demo' and the C64 soundtrack for FREE.
Alright then - I think that covers it. Check the official website for more info/screenshots/product photos/trailer.
(Official website, with downloads, shop links and trailer video)
(RGCD store page)