AGOURA HILLS, Calif.– May 5, 2008– THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) today announced its upcoming portfolio of video games based on the company’s long-standing relationship with Nickelodeon. THQ’s longstanding partnership with Nickelodeon has resulted in sales of more than $1 billion and accounted for more than 50 million units worldwide.
This year’s feature titles include the video game debut of The Naked Brothers Band. The Naked Brothers Band: The Video Game (working title) is based on the highly rated TV show that follows the lives of a kids’ rock band fronted by real-life brothers Nat and Alex Wolff. In addition, SpongeBob SquarePants will take on a new creative form this year in Drawn to Life™: SpongeBob SquarePants Edition. Based on last year’s top selling Drawn to Life™ video game for Nintendo DS™, the game will allow players to draw their own characters and populate the world of Bikini Bottom with their own creativity. The 2008 portfolio will also include new games based on leading Nickelodeon TV shows Tak and the Power of Juju, Avatar: The Last Airbender and Back At The Barnyard. Nickelodeon fans can also look forward to a new installment of the popular Nicktoons.
“With the enormous popularity of Wii™ and DS coupled with our exceptionally diverse portfolio of Nickelodeon-based games, THQ continues to lead in family entertainment,” said Jim Huntley, director, global brand management, THQ.“Featuring new forms of gameplay such as the music-based The Naked Brothers Band and the drawing-based Drawn to Life: SpongeBob SquarePants Edition, we expect our upcoming titles to offer completely new ways for families to play together.”
“Gaming is one of the primary activities of our audience, whether it’s online or on the console,” said Steve Youngwood, Executive Vice President, Digital Media for Nickelodeon/MTVN Kids and Family.“THQ’s interactive video games based on our hit shows have continued to help Nickelodeon maintain its position as a leader in gaming entertainment for the family, and we look forward to the addition of these new releases to our library.”
The 2008 Nickelodeon portfolio is scheduled for release in Fall 2008 across multiple game systems, including the Wii™ video game console, the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and Nintendo DS. For more information on THQ's Nickelodeon titles and the rest of THQ's family product lineup, please visit www.playthq.com.
The 2008 THQ Nickelodeon videogame lineup includes:
• The Naked Brothers Band: The Videogame (working title)– Based on the highly popular Nickelodeon TV show of the same name, this music-based video game allows players to live the superstar life of The Naked Brothers Band. Playing as the band, players will embark on a nationwide tour where they can experience all aspects of being in the band: singing, playing multiple instruments, controlling stage effects like lighting and pyrotechnics and even creating live concert videos. Featuring 25 of The Naked Brothers Band’s greatest hits, The Naked Brothers Band is scheduled for release on the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system, Wii and Nintendo DS.
• Drawn to Life: SpongeBob SquarePants Edition– Players will experience SpongeBob SquarePants like never before by using the unique drawing mechanic perfected in last year’s innovative Nintendo DS title, Drawn to Life, to draw their own character and populate the world of Bikini Bottom. Using the Nintendo DS stylus, players will create their own hero, defeat DoodleBob’s rogue drawings, and rescue SpongeBob and his friends. Drawn to Life: SpongeBob SquarePants Edition is scheduled for release on Nintendo DS.
• Avatar - The Last Airbender: Into the Inferno– Players will play as Aang and friends in this action-packed video game based on the final season of the highly acclaimed TV series. New gameplay features will allow players to interact with characters from the TV show while performing thrilling martial arts moves with enhanced Wii Remote™ controls in order to defeat the Fire Nation. Avatar - The Last Airbender: Into the Inferno is scheduled for release on the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system, Wii and Nintendo DS.
• SpongeBob SquarePants featuring Nicktoons: Globs of Doom– SpongeBob SquarePants featuring Nicktoons: Globs of Doom is an action-packed adventure featuring 10 playable characters from some of the most popular Nickelodeon TV shows, as well as numerous iconic locations such as Retroville, Amity Park and Bikini Bottom. Players will play cooperatively as both heroes and villains while utilizing special gadgets in order to defeat the Morphoids. SpongeBob SquarePants featuring Nicktoons: Globs of Doom is scheduled for release on the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system, Wii and Nintendo DS.
• Tak and the Guardians of Gross– Tak and the Guardians of Gross follows the shaman’s apprentice as he visits the Spoiled Shrine and accidentally removes a strange crystal that explodes and releases the four giant Grosstrosities. Using all new“parkour” style of gameplay, players will be running on walls, sliding down poles, and swinging on vines to navigate action-packed levels. Tak and the Guardians of Gross is scheduled for release on the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system and on Wii. In addition, Tak Mojo Mistake is scheduled for release on Nintendo DS.
• Back at the Barnyard: Slop Bucket Games (working title)– The popular Nickelodeon series stampedes its way onto Nintendo DS for the first time. Players will compete in the first annual Slop Bucket Games– a series of wacky, fun, sporting events and reinvented classic arcade games with barnyard motifs. Back at the Barnyard is scheduled for release on Nintendo DS only.
Nickelodeon, now in its 29th year, is the number-one entertainment brand for kids. It has built a diverse, global business by putting kids first in everything it does. The company includes television programming and production in the United States and around the world, plus consumer products, online, recreation, books, magazines and feature films. Nickelodeon’s U.S. television network is seen in more than 96 million households and has been the number-one-rated basic cable network for more than 13 consecutive years. Nickelodeon and all related titles, characters and logos are trademarks of Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B).
THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) is a leading worldwide developer and publisher of interactive entertainment software. The company develops its products for all popular game systems, personal computers and wireless devices. Headquartered in Los Angeles County, California, THQ sells product through its global network of offices located throughout North America, Europe and Asia Pacific. More information about THQ and its products may be found at www.thq.com. THQ, Drawn to Life and their respective logos are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of THQ Inc.
Wii and Nintendo DS are trademarks of Nintendo.
”PlayStation” and the“PS” Family logo are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
The statements contained in this press release that are not historical facts may be“forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements are based on current expectations, estimates and projections about the business of THQ Inc. and its subsidiaries (collectively referred to as“THQ”), including, but not limited to, expectations and projections related to the Nickelodeon 2008 video game portfolio, and are based upon management’s current beliefs and certain assumptions made by management. Such forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements, including, but not limited to, business, competitive, economic, legal, political and technological factors affecting our industry, operations, markets, products or pricing. Readers should carefully review the risk factors and the information that could materially affect THQ’s financial results, described in other documents that THQ files from time to time with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q and Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal period ended March 31, 2007, and particularly the discussion of risk factors set forth therein. Unless otherwise required by law, THQ disclaims any obligation to update its view on any such risks or uncertainties or to revise or publicly release the results of any revision to these forward-looking statements. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date of this press release.
# # #