September 25th 2008
Tiga today congratulated Monumental Games for winning a Collaborative Research and Development award of nearly£300,000 from the Technology Strategy Board (TSB). The award will help fund a project to revolutionise the Monumental Technology Suite, the Massively-Multiplayer Engine that currently has over 40 licenses across the world.
Richard Wilson, CEO of Tiga, said:
“Tiga would like to congratulate Monumental Games and its team for winning this fund from the TSB. It is an outstanding achievement.
“I recently visited Monumental Games’ Nottingham studio. I was struck by the activity, ambition and acumen of the business. This award confirms Monumental Games as a key player in the UK games industry and reinforces its already strong business prospects.
“This is the first year that the TSB has accepted applications for funding from the creative industries. Monumental Games’ achievement in securing this award demonstrates the inherent creativity and innovative spirit in the games industry. I hope that more games businesses will submit applications to the TSB in future funding rounds. Securing funding of this kind will enable more UK games businesses to become world beating enterprises.”
Notes to editors:
1. Tiga is the national trade association that represents games developers in the UK and in Europe. We have 157 members, the majority of whom are either independent games developers or in-house publisher owned developers. We also have outsourcing companies, technology businesses and university departments that are members.
2. Tiga’s vision is to make the UK the best place in the world to do games business. We focus on three sets of activities: political representation, generating media coverage and developing services that enhance the competitiveness of our members. This means that Tiga members are effectively represented in the corridors of power, their voice is heard in the media and they receive benefits that make a material difference to their businesses, including a reduction in costs and improved commercial opportunities.
3. Monumental Games (Nottingham, UK) is a game development studio specialising in the design, production, operation and management of large-scale consumer MMO games for the global marketplace. Monumental develops the Monumental Technology Suite (MTS), a complete MMO game development middleware solution. MTS enables developers to focus on innovative content development and end-product quality, and contains everything investors, publishers, and developers, need to take MMO products quickly, securely and cost effectively to market.
4. Monumental Games are the Lead Participant of a consortium that will be taking part in a collaborative£700,000 research project. The project will focus on making the Monumental Technology Suite’s tools‘accessible to all’ and provide a browser-compatible development route. The project begins this month and aims to commercialise its results within two years. Monumental’s partners in the consortium include: Staffordshire University (which this academic year launches the UK’s first dedicated Multiplayer Online Game Design&Programming courses); Media and Game Technologies who will provide an integrated billing system; and PlayGen and the Digital Native Academy (DNA) who will be providing consultation on various aspects of the project.
5. For further information contact Paul Mayze:
Phone: +44 (0) 115 958 3178
6. For further information about Tiga, please contact: Dr Richard Wilson, Tiga CEO on: 0845 0941095; Mob: 07875 939643; or: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.