Half Life/Portal developer crowned number one
Edge, the world’s most respected multi-format videogame brand, today announces Valve the winner of the very first Edge Developer Awards.
To coincide with its historic 250 th issue, Edge has compiled a list of the best 50 development studios in the world today − crowning Valve, the maker of Half-Life, Team Fortress 2 and PC gaming platform Steam, number one.
The new annual Edge Developer Awards are judged by Edge’s renowned editorial team from among studios that have released games within the past couple of years, with a focus on their technical and creative abilities. Rather than ranking the studios by revenue, sales figures or average review scores, Edge looks at which has released the most involving and stimulating game worlds – whether through visual, audio or game design, or those which engage with players the most.
Edge’s top five development studios are:
1. Valve (Half Life/Portal)
2. Mojang (Minecraft/Scrolls)
3. Nintendo EAD (Mario/The Legend of Zelda)
4. Platinum Games (Bayonetta/The Wonderful 101)
5. Naughty Dog (The Last of Us/Uncharted)
Alex Wiltshire, Editor of Edge, says: “Since our launch in September 1993, Edge has reported on and celebrated the creative culture of videogames. The Edge Developer Awards look to build on this tradition by shining a light on the very best of the best. Passionate gamers are always looking to the future and as the next generation consoles near, these are the development studios which are shaping that future the most.
“Valve is named our number one because it is driving the future like no other developer. It’s in control of its destiny, it empowers its fans, and it’s continually experimenting with new ways of selling games and ways to play with them. And all the while, the quality and ambition of its games are second to none.”
Doug Lombardi, Director of Marketing at Valve, says: "Edge has long been a leader in industry news and is one of the world's most respected sources. As such, Valve is absolutely honoured to be named Edge's Developer of the Year."
Edge’s 250 th issue − featuring all the top 50 development studios − is out on September 17 in print, on iOS through its award-winning fully interactive iPad edition and standard iPhone edition via Newsstand, and on Android via Google Play and Zinio.
The issue also includes a profile on Valve, taking an in-depth look at the studio with new behind-the-scenes photography and interviews with key personnel including CEO Gabe Newell and Jason Holtman, the lead behind the pioneering game platform Steam.
For more information please contact:
Ben Bolton, Senior Communications Executive for Future on 020 7042 4034 or 07940 530424 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Multi-format videogame magazine Edge was first published in 1993. Since launch, it was won the MCV award for Best Magazine Team and six Magazine Of The Year awards from InDin and the Games Media Awards. Edge is available in UK newsagents, Apple’s Newsstand, Google Play and Zinio for Android.
About Future plc:
· Future plc is an international media group and leading digital publisher, listed on the London Stock Exchange (symbol: FUTR).
· We have operations in the UK, US and Australia creating 200 publications, apps, websites and events.
· We hold market-leading positions in Technology, Entertainment, Music, Creative and Sport & Auto sectors.
· We deliver over 100 digital editions, selling over two million products in the last 12 months through Apple’s Newsstand for iPad.
· Future exports or syndicates over 200 publications to over 90 countries, making us the UK’s number one exporter and licensor of magazine content.
· Future is currently Consumer Digital Publisher of the Year for both the Association of Online Publishers and the Professional Publishers Association.