03 June 2008, Oxford, UK: Vicon, the Academy Award winning motion capture specialist, and part of the Oxford Metrics Group, today announce the launch of its new T-Series camera. The T160 offers 16 megapixels of resolution and a full frame capture speed of 120fps, which equates to four times more resolution that any other motion capture camera on the market today.
The impressive resolution is down to the custom built Vicon Avalon sensor - the world’s first 16 megapixel motion capture sensor. Coupled with the greyscale centroid fitting, it delivers amazing results in large volume areas with tiny unobtrusive markers.
The T-Series has a Gigabit Ethernet (GigE) interface, which is ten times faster than the previous Vicon MX system and any of its competitors. The speed and power behind the new cameras enable it to keep up with demanding tasks such as multiple character capture or high speed sports.
Another feature is the 2D on board tracking. This significantly improves reconstruction and labeling; especially when markers are moving fast or experiencing extreme changes in velocity. For example, capturing a high speed golf swing, a speed skater, or the movement of a galloping horse. It also ensures the 3D data is of the highest possible quality.
Nick Bolton, chief executive at Oxford Metrics Group said:“The T-Series has not just come about over night. It has taken years of research and development, and we’re all immensely proud of what has been achieved. No other motion capture camera on the market today can compare to the T-Series. It will enable our customers to capture the fastest details, the most accurate tracking and the subtlest movements in even the largest volume.”
Other features include:
• T-Series cameras are backwards compatible with VICON MX and MX F-Series cameras, and can be used in combination in the same capture space.
• A powerful strobe - up to 320 high power LEDs give an even spread of light across the camera’s field of view which means smaller markers in large volumes are easily identified
• Adjusting the focus and aperture of cameras can be done remotely
• More light output means cameras are less sensitive to ambient lighting which reduces the challenges in uncontrollable lighting environments, such studios or laboratories.
• The extra bandwidth given by the GigE provides reliable preview data even when the system is pushed to the limit
• The T-Series has a simple push button mechanism that allows single handed removal of the strobe when adjusting the camera
• Markers move less between internal frames, making them easier to track and resulting in better quality data without overloading your PC
• The T-Series handle has been ergonomically designed to enable easy removal from awkward trusses or tripods
• The Vicon lens has been custom-built for motion capture. It has a large image circle to ensure that the entire image is evenly illuminated, not just the centre. Off-the-shelf lenses are designed to work with low resolution cameras and cannot be used with 16 megapixel sensors because of the limited resolving power. Resolving power is the lens’s ability to measure differences of angles between markers
Images available on request. For more information about the Vicon MX T-Series please visit: www.vicon.com
Academy Award®-winning Vicon is the world’s largest supplier of precision motion tracking systems, serving customers and CG animation applications in film, visual effects, computer games, and broadcast television, as well as engineering and life science industries. Vicon operates in four offices worldwide, including its Los Angeles-based Entertainment headquarters, a 26,000 square-foot facility equipped with three performance capture stages for Vicon’s service company House of Moves as well as 125 Vicon MX40 cameras.
Vicon is the largest holding of OMG (Oxford Metrics Group - LSE: OMG), plc., a group of technology companies that produces image understanding solutions for the entertainment, defense, life science and engineering markets. Other holdings include Emmy Award®-winning 2d3 and newly founded Geospatial Vision Ltd.
Vicon’s and OMG’s global clients include: life science leaders University of Pennsylvania, the VA Hospitals, Shriners Hospitals for Children, Titleist Golf, National Pitching Association; engineering industry leaders Ford, BMW, Airbus, Lockheed, Pratt-Whitney, NASA, Caterpillar, International Truck, and Toyota; and entertainment companies Sony Pictures Imageworks, Sony Computer Entertainment, Industrial Light and Magic, Sega, Nintendo, UbiSoft, Vivendi, Electronic Arts, Square Enix and many others.
Hayley Roberts / Sean Fleming
Clarity Public Relations
Tel: 0118 946 9260