Guinness World Records
Gamer's Edition 2009
** FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE **
LONDON (11th February, 2009) - Eccentric British designer and two time record breaker Edd China (37) today unveiled his latest four-wheeled creation to set a brand new record for the world's Fastest Mobile Gaming Rig along with official Lara Croft model, Alison Carroll. Complete with three different gaming consoles (X-Box, Wii and PS3), monitors, water cooler and even a phone, the eye catching office-like rig set a speed of 57 mph just outside central London this morning to celebrate the launch of Guinness World Records 2009 Gamer's Edition, a new book on the world's latest and greatest video gaming records.
Onboard the rig, Lara Croft model Alison Carroll; James Richards, record holder for the fastest completion on Sonic the Hedgehog 3; and Adam Borton of Eurogamer, gamed non-stop with their favorite games (Tomb Raider Underworld, Super Mario Galaxy, Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 respectively) and helped set the new record bracing the weather and morning commuter traffic.
Rig creator China said‘People associate video gaming with being locked up in a room isolated from the world, so I wanted to create a vehicle that made gaming interactive and put gamers out on the road'.
For his triumphant lap of honor over Westminster Bridge, China invited the youngest professional gamer, 10-year old American Victor De Leon III (aka Lil Poison) and Editor-in-chief of Guinness World Records, Craig Glenday, (dressed as all time favorite Super Mario), to board the rig along with Lara Croft and enjoy a scenic view across one of London's most famous landmarks.
Notes to Editor:
• Youngest professional gamer is Victor De Leon III (aka Lil Poison). An avid video game player since the age of two, Long Island (NY) native Lil Poison claimed the title after signing with MLG recruiters as a Pro Gamer at the age of six. On average, Lil Poison spends one to two hours per day on video gaming. He ranks Halo CE, Rockband and Castle Crashers among his“top 10 favorite games” and does not have a preferred platform though he currently plays mostly on Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, and Playstation 3. Although he practices his gaming skills every day, Lil Poison is a top student with the same interests as any typical ten-year old and enjoys spending time with friends, swimming and playing basketball.
• Lara Croft holds records for: Most recognizable female character in a video game, Highest grossing computer game spin-off, Most official real life stand-ins in a video game, Most successful videogame heroine.
• Mario Bros holds records for: Best selling video game, most prolific video game character, best selling racing game on the N64 and has been elected the top console game of the 2009 Gamer's Edition.
• Edd China holds records for the fastest mobile bed, fastest sofa and Largest motorised shopping trolley.
• James Richards, participant who broke record on the rig, holds the following record: The fastest completion of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 using Sonic as the player character is 49 minutes 17 seconds, achieved by James Richards (UK) in Maidstone, Kent, UK on 9 August 2008.
About Guinness World Records
Guinness World Records is the universally recognized authority on record-breaking achievement. First published in 1955, the annual Guinness World Records book is published in more than 100 countries and 25 languages and is one of the highest-selling books under copyright of all time with more than 3 million copies sold annually across the globe. Guinness World Records celebrated its 50th anniversary edition in 2004, a year after the sale of its 100 millionth copy. Guinness World Records also annually publishes the Gamer's Edition; a records book devoted solely to the world of computer gaming and high score record achievements. The Guinness World Records website ( www.guinnessworldrecords.com) receives more than 11 million visitors a year. Guinness World Records is part of the Jim Pattison Group, one of Canada's largest privately owned companies which is a conglomerate of interests, including advertising, broadcasting, grocery stores and automotive retailing.
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND PICTURES PLEASE CONTACT:
Amarilis Espinoza or Karolina Thelin +44 (0)20 7891 4518 / firstname.lastname@example.org