Rotterdam, The Netherlands – July 1, 2014: Dutch independent studio Vertigo Games today launches a community-driven content update for the Rift-enabled underwater exploration game World of Diving, which lets early access players explore the community co-created, Brony HMS Tranquility shipwreck dive site, equipped with the Rift or without.
This brand-new World of Diving teaser video takes you to a mysterious subtropical location where fantasy meets reality, inspired by a popular animated television series: http://youtu.be/EUtkVplzWlg
Courtesy of contributor Sgt_Brony, the entire World of Diving community was sourced for their ideas on his HMS Tranquility: from setting and back-story to design and realism. Many pitched in, leading to a heated discussion about realism in videogames in general and World of Diving in specific. While some feared that a Brony shipwreck would lead the game onto a slippery slope into fantasyland, others argued that videogames are made to enable the impossible, and that with our advanced technology, even in the real world the edges of realism and fantasy are starting to blur.
“The true realism of this game is that ‘We Don’t Know’ all that is beneath the water and the mysteries it holds,” said Sgt_Brony. “What I'm having designed here is a fun, creative ship to dive and explore that's so far out of the norm that you just can't stop … going back to it every time you log on to play just because of its oddity.”
Apart from the new community-driven dive site, this update also includes various performance optimizations, much anticipated fast swim options, and exciting new daily missions.
World of Diving: Stage 0, including this latest update, is now fully playable as an early access perk that comes with pre-ordering the game on its official website: http://www.divegame.net.
# # #
Note to the editor:
World of Diving: Stage 0 is an early access playable that serves to give players a first impression of what to expect from World of Diving in the future, thereby enabling an open, informed dialogue about development. As such, it is not representative of what World of Diving will offer players in the final stages – neither in scope nor feature completeness. For media access, please contact Kimara Rouwit on email@example.com.
- Development images: http://bit.ly/1k9Ddcs
- New screenshots: http://bit.ly/1lNRAbf
- New video as download: http://bit.ly/1nZ7bBx
- World of Diving official website: http://www.divegame.net
- World of Diving press kit: http://www.divegame.net/presskit
World of Diving in the media
- Kotaku.com – “… something I very much want to play again.”
- IGN.com - "Such wonderful things surround you."
- Destructoid.com - "World of Diving with Oculus Rift is a real treasure"
- The New York Times – “captivating"
- Polygon - "This is the fun of virtual reality; the act of exploring a new environment was quietly joyful"
About World of Diving
World of Diving is the online multiplayer game that will bring out your inner explorer by bringing the murky, mysterious depths of our oceans and their hidden treasures within your grasp. Or step into the shoes of the designer, and build and share your own diving locations and missions with your fellow divers.
If it’s underwater, it’s part of World of Diving - armed with hi-tech deep-sea diving gear and submarine vehicles, a photo camera, and your exploration kit, it's up to you and your friends to reveal, salvage and catalog the ocean's mysteries.
- Design, create and share your own underwater missions and content
- Explore the mysteries of the ocean with up to 16 friends, or go solo
- Compete with friend and foe in exciting arcade challenges
- Discover and salvage the sunken remains of history, including rusty shipwrecks and WW2 submarines
- Interact with the amazing sea life and complete your Ocean-o-pedia with over a hundred species
- Collect a variety of special ‘diving buddies’, each adding its unique benefit to your diving skill
- Customize your character, upgrade your diving gear and ships, and more
- Take part in the community and help direct feature development
- Play using the Oculus Rift for the full immersive experience, or use a traditional monitor
About Vertigo Games
Vertigo Games is a Dutch game developer, located in the city of Rotterdam, The Netherlands. Our team has worked on a mix of entertainment and serious games, providing a unique, combined experience that is a snug fit for creating a fun and realistic game like World of Diving. These days, our team is creating some of the most advanced and realistic educational and serious games in the world, but our dream to create entertainment games has never been stronger.