2011: Biggest year in Xbox history
Microsoft announced that Xbox 360 was the top selling console in North America in 2011.
· Xbox 360 has sold more than 66 million consoles, with nearly 40 million Xbox LIVE members around the world.
· Kinect has sold more than 18 million sensors around the world.
· Xbox 360 with Kinect was the must-have gift this Christmas, selling almost 800,000 Xbox 360 consoles on Black Friday alone.
Transforming TV through the power of Kinect
Microsoft showcased how Kinect and leading TV and entertainment providers deliver extraordinary experiences on Xbox 360 globally.
· More TV is coming to Xbox LIVE; in December, Channel 4OD and 5 On Demand launched on Xbox, with more to come. With more than 50 active and announced partnerships worldwide, more live TV and on-demand TV will be lighting up Xbox 360 consoles around the globe this year.
· Xbox 360 owners are excited about this new, fun, and interactive way to enjoy their favourite content:
- The hours of video consumed globally on Xbox LIVE increased 140 percent from 2010 to 2011.
o The number of people using entertainment apps on Xbox LIVE increased by nearly 50 percent globally from November to December.
· We are going to make TV more social and personal; from watching to engaging, from passive to active.
In close collaboration with trusted brands such as Sesame Workshop and National Geographic, Kinect for Xbox 360 is delivering a new kind of interactive learning experience that places children inside their favorite television shows and storybooks and allows them to engage, interact and learn in entirely new ways.
Not just fun and games; the ‘Kinect Effect’ inspires new industries worldwide
Just like Kinect for Xbox 360 is helping to reinvent games and entertainment, companies around the globe are exploring how Kinect for Windows will help them to re-invent their industries.
· Microsoft announced the Kinect for Windows commercial program launching 1 st Feb 2012. Through the commercial program, Kinect will reach far beyond entertainment to revolutionise education, healthcare, manufacturing, science, and more.
· Microsoft is already working with more than 200 innovation leaders including United Health Group, American Express, Mattel, Telefonica, and Toyota to utilise Kinect in revolutionary new ways.
For specialist media enquiries, please contact:
For further information and images/b-roll, please contact:
Baz Singh / 020 3047 4024 / email@example.com
About Xbox 360
Xbox 360 is a premier home entertainment and video game system. With the addition of Kinect, Xbox 360 will forever transform social gaming and entertainment with a whole new way to play — no controller required. Xbox 360 is also home to the best and broadest games as well as the largest on demand library of music, standard and high definition movies, TV shows and digital games, all in one place. The entertainment centre of the living room, Xbox 360 blends unbeatable content with a network of 35 million Xbox LIVE members to create a limitless entertainment experience that can be shared at home or across the globe. More information about Xbox 360 can be found online at http://www.xbox.com .
About Xbox LIVE
Xbox LIVE is the online entertainment service for your Xbox 360, connecting you to an ever expanding world of games, movies, music, sports and social entertainment. Xbox LIVE lets you play the best games, enjoy the largest on demand library on any console, listen to millions of songs and share the fun with friends around the world. Xbox LIVE is now also available on Windows Phone 7 putting the power of connected entertainment in the palm of your hand. Xbox LIVE is the exclusive home of controller free online entertainment through Kinect, making your Xbox 360 more intuitive and interactive than ever before. With an active community of 35 million people across 35 countries, Xbox LIVE provides you with instant access to the entertainment you want, shared with the people you care about. More information about Xbox LIVE can be found online at http://www.xbox.com/live.
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.
Note to editors: For more information, news and perspectives from Microsoft, please visit the Microsoft News Center at http://www.microsoft.com/news . Web links, telephone numbers and titles were correct at time of publication, but may have changed. For additional assistance, journalists and analysts may contact Microsoft’s Rapid Response Team or other appropriate contacts listed at http://www.microsoft.com/news/contactpr.mspx
Jackie Cooper Public Relations Ltd a company registered in England with company number 1983028 and its registered office at Southside, 105 Victoria Street, London SW1E 6QT,United Kingdom