PC hardware manufacturer Acer has gained majority control of the Star VR platform holder from partner Starbreeze.
The pair launched the joint project in spring 2016, when both agreed to invest $25m between them. To date both have invested $10m, and now the remaining cash will come from Acer. In return, it will get a 66.7 per cent share of the business, leaving Starbreeze with 33.3 per cent.
Starbreeze also retains the rights to several associated bits of IP relating to the headset itself, InfinitEye, ePawn and the StarVR SDK. Acer maintains a handful of patent rights relating to headset ergonomics and R&D.
“Starbreeze remains fully dedicated to the field of VR where we see great potential in the development of location-based VR that gives users access to premium VR experiences,” Starbreeze CEO Bo Andersson Klint said.
“We have pushed design and technical innovation to fruition in our StarVR collaboration with Acer. Starbreeze will continue to push innovation in the headset and focus on its core business – content. Our games and related premium VR experiences will primarily use the StarVR headset for location-based VR centers and we are eager to continue contributing to the success of StarVR.”
Acer chairman and CEO Jason Chen added: “VR is one of Acer’s key focus areas, as we continue to make huge strides across hardware, software and content development to unlock its potential. The increase of Acer’s stake in StarVR underlines our commitment to the industry, and we look forward to continuing to deliver best-in-class VR experiences through our successful partnership with Starbreeze and ongoing technological innovation.”
The Star VR headset attempts to distinguish itself from rivals with a 5k resolution and 210-degree field of view. It will primarily target location-based VR centres, amusement parks and B2B. Starbreeze VR centres are currently in development in Stockholm and Dubai.