In the aftermath last week’s shooting in Munich German network ProSieben MAXX will not be showing an upcoming Counter-Strike Global Offensive competition in the country.
That’s according to ESPN, which says ELeague’s semi finals – planned to be aired today (Friday, July 29th) and tomorrow – will no longer be appearing.
Freaks 4U, the marketing agency handling the promotion for the German broadcast provided a following statement to local games site 99Damage.
Today, ELeague’s show has been canceled and the TV channel won’t show its last episode,” the statement read.
I think it’s sad that such an event takes away the chance to show every non-eSports fan how awesome this sport can be. It was a beautiful journey to represent the German eSports scene [on] TV and am thankful to every single viewer, especially those who worked closely with us to give feedback.”
As reported by Reuters, Bavarian officials have said that the 18-year-old shooter who killed nine people last Friday (July 22nd) was found to play a number of violent video games, including Counter-Strike Source.
MCV’s thoughts are with all affected by last week’s horrendous act of violence.