Hideo Kojima’s Metal Gear Solid swansong sold almost half a million copies across PS3 and PS4 in its debut week.
That’s according to the latest data from Famitsu, which shows that the PS4 SKU of open-world stealth game Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain shifted over 315,000 units last week, rocketing to the top of the retail software charts.
The PS3 version of the title was hot on its sibling console’s heels, shooting up into second place with more than 157,000 sales – almost exactly half of the PS4’s total.
It’s a reversal of fortunes from 2014 predecessor Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, which sold roughly 25 per cent more copies on PS3 than PS4.
When combined, that means that The Phantom Pain sold 472,893 copies across the Sony platforms alone in its first six days on sale, having launched on September 1st. The game is also available on Xbox 360, Xbox One and PC – although none of these versions made the Top Ten last week.
With three days having passed since the official chart count on September 6th, it’s pretty safe to posit that Kojima’s latest has now passed the 500,000 sales mark in Japan.
Unsurprisingly, The Phantom Pain’s launch propelled Sony’s PS4 to the top of the hardware rankings with over 54,720 sales, surpassing usual top spot contender the New Nintendo 3DS XL.
The only other new Top Ten game to brave Metal Gear Solid release week was 5pb’s IS 2: Love and Purge for the PlayStation Vita, which debuted in seventh place with just over 10,000 sales.
Here are the latest Top Ten software rankings, according to Famitsu, for the week ending September 6th:
- Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Konami) PS4 – 315,288 (New)
- Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Konami) PS3 – 157,605 (New)
- Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (Square Enix) 3DS – 117,844
- Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Akaneko-dan / Shiroinu-tai (Level 5) 3DS – 39,641
- Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer (Nintendo) 3DS – 27,002
- Splatoon (Nintendo) Wii U – 16,074
- IS 2: Love and Purge (5pb) Vita – 10,432 (New)
- Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ (Nintendo) 3DS – 8,563
- Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (Sony) Vita – 7,510
- Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo) Wii U – 6,168
And here are the weekly hardware stats:
- PS4 – 54,720
- New Nintendo 3DS XL – 23,894
- Wii U – 10,197
- PS Vita – 10,024
- New Nintendo 3DS – 3,515
- PS3 – 2,360
- Nintendo 3DS – 1,612
- Nintendo 3DS XL – 1,001
- PS Vita TV – 379
- Xbox One – 120