To no-one’s surprise, this week’s No.1 in Japan is Final Fantasy XV, according to data from Famitsu.
The long-in-development and much-anticipated JRPG sold 716,649 units in its first week on shelves. Square Enix announced that Final Fantasy XV had sold 5m units in its first day on sale worldwide. The game was also the series’ second-biggest in the UK.
The title had a positive impact on PlayStation 4 hardware sales, too. Sony’s machine saw a 227 per rise spike in sales week-on-week. This may have in part been driven by the limited edition Final Fantasy XV PS4 Slim that Sony announced on-stage at TGS.
Final Fantasy XV charted ahead of Pokmon Sun and Moon, which shifted 225,697 between them. That’s a 47 per cent drop-off from last week.
There were a number of new titles in this week’s charts, too. Super Mario Maker on 3DS made its debut, shifting 160,016 units, which Ubisoft’s Watch Dogs 2 hit shelves with a 46,819 unit-strong first week.
All Kamen Rider: Rider Revolution from Bandai Namco on 3DS shifted 18,814 copies and started life at No.5, ahead of the Vita edition of SD Gundam G Generation Genesis from Bandai Namco, which sold 12,506 units. The PS4 SKU sold 10,128 copies.
Below is the software Top Ten for the week ending December 4th:
1. Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix) PS4 – 716,649 (New)
2. Pocket Monster Sun/Moon (Pokmon) 3DS – 225,697
3. Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo) 3DS – 160,016 (New)
4. Watch Dogs 2 (Ubisoft) PS4 – 46,819 (New)
5. All Kamen Rider: Rider Revolution (Bandai Namco) 3DS – 18,814 (New)
6. SD Gundam G Generation Genesis (Bandai Namco) Vita – 12,506
7. SD Gundam G Generation Genesis (Bandai Namco) PS4 – 10,128
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf – Welcome Amiibo (Nintendo) 3DS – 9,723
9. Digimon Universe: App Monsters (Bandai Namco) 3DS – 8,754 (New)
10. Minecraft: Wii U Edition (Microsoft) Wii U – 6,714
And here are the hardware numbers:
1. PS4, 108551
2. New Nintendo 3DS LL, 36818
3. PS Vita, 14853
4. 2DS, 16115
5. New Nintendo 3DS, 9154
6. PS4 Pro, 8042
7. Wii U, 4713
8. PS3, 494
9. Xbox One S, 177
10. Xbox One, 138
11. Nintendo 3DS, 99
12. Nintendo 3DS LL, 81