The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has gone straight in at No.1 in the Japanese charts, selling 193,060 units in its first weekend, according to the latest data from Famitsu.
Unlike the UK charts this week, Breath of the Wild beat Sony’s Horizon Zero Dawn to the top spot last week, selling almost double the number of copies as its PS4 rival. Horizon, meanwhile, debuted at No.2, shifting 109,739 units.
Indeed, the Switch had a strong launch in Japan last week, selling 330,637 units of hardware, and claiming five of the Top Ten software titles. In addition to Zelda, 1-2-Switch charted at No.3 with 82,392 units, while Super Bomberman R came in at No.5 with 39,609 sales. Dragon Quest Heroes I & II for Nintendo Switch landed at No.7 with 25,929 units, and Puyo Puyo Tetris rounded it out at No.10 with 12,866 sales.
The Wii U version of Breath of the Wild also did well, debuting at No.4 with an impressive 45,052 units sold.
Elsewhere, the week before’s No.1, Nier: Automata, fell to No.6 last week, after sales fell 81 per cent week-on-week, and the PS4 version of Super Robot Taisen V also dropped to No.9 after an 86 per cent decline in sales week-on-week.
Pokmon Sun and Moon, meanwhile, actually experienced a seven per cent rise in sales last week despite falling one place to No.8, selling 14,593 units.
Here’s the software Top Ten in full for the week ending March 5th:
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) Switch, 193,060 (New)
2. Horizon: Zero Dawn (Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Asia) PS4, 109,739 (New)
3. 1-2-Switch (Nintendo) Switch, 82,392 (New)
4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) Wii U, 45,052 (New)
5. Super Bomberman R (Konami) Switch, 39,609 (New)
6. NieR: Automata (Square Enix) PS4, 34,226
7. Dragon Quest Heroes I & II for Nintendo Switch (Square Enix) Switch, 25,929 (New)
8. Pocket Monster Sun/Moon (Pokemon) 3DS, 14,593
9. Super Robot Taisen V (Bandai Namco Entertainment) PS4, 12,878
10. Puyo Puyo Tetris (Sega Games) Switch, 12,866 (New)
And here are the hardware figures for the same period:
Nintendo Switch, 330,637
New Nintendo 3DS LL, 20,321
PS Vita, 9,879
PS4 Pro, 5,912
New Nintendo 3DS, 1,433
Wii U, 644
Xbox One S, 146
Xbox One, 22