The release of the next entry in Bandai Namco’s God Eater franchise has shaken up the Japanese retail charts.
According to the latest data from Famitsu, the Vita edition of action RPG God Eater 2 Rage Burst was the top-selling game of last week, selling more than 221,000 copies.
The PS4 version of the title placed third in the rankings, one place below Nintendo’s remastered edition of The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask for 3DS.
Meanwhile, The Order: 1886, last week’s best-selling title in the UK, took fourth position in its debut week in Japan, selling 26,000 units.
The only other new release to crack the Top Ten was Koei Tecmo’s Dead or Alive 5: Last Round. The PS4 and PS3 releases of the game placed sixth and eighth, respectively.
As a result of God Eater 2’s success in the software charts, Nintendo’s New 3DS and New 3DS XL were knocked from their place at the top of the hardware rankings.
Sony’s PS4 home console and Vita handheld became the first and second-best-selling hardware for the week.
The Vita managed to shift 32,790 units – almost 10,000 more than PS4’s 23,210.
The New 3DS and New 3DS sold 19,542 and 6,792, respectively.
Here’s the weekly software Top Ten for the week ending February 22nd:
- God Eater 2 Rage Burst (Bandai Namco) Vita – 221,076 (New)
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D (Nintendo) 3DS – 74,985
- God Eater 2 Rage Burst (Bandai Namco) PS4 – 31,823 (New)
- The Order: 1886 (Sony) PS4 – 26,288 (New)
- Yokai Watch 2: Shinuchi (Level 5) 3DS – 18,430
- Dead or Alive 5: Last Round (Koei Tecmo Games) PS4 – 18,336 (New)
- Dragon Ball: Xenoverse (Bandai Namco) PS3 – 12,803
- Dead or Alive 5: Last Round (Koei Tecmo) PS3 – 11,455 (New)
- Pocket Monster Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire (The Pokmon Company) 3DS – 8,872
- Samurai Warriors 4-II (Koei Tecmo) PS3 – 8,738
And here’s the weekly hardware rankings:
- PS Vita – 32,790
- PS4 – 23,210
- New Nintendo 3DS XL – 19,452
- New Nintendo 3DS – 6,792
- Wii U – 5,346
- PS3 – 4,764
- Nintendo 3DS – 2,595
- Nintendo 3DS XL – 2,361
- Xbox One – 908
- PS Vita TV – 745