Last week’s Japanese retail charts resembled a bygone era, as the latest Final Fantasy and Resident Evil instalments topped the rankings.
According to the latest data from Famitsu, the remastered PS4 edition of Final Fantasy Type-0, which was originally released on PSP exclusively in Japan back in 2011, was crowned as the biggest-selling game of the week, shifting over 91,000 units.
Type-0’s success also helped to extend the success of Sony’s PS4 in the weekly hardware rankings, as the console claimed its fourth consecutive week at number one.
Coming in second in the software charts was the PS4 edition of Resident Evil: Revelations 2, Capcom’s console and PC sequel to the 3DS-only Revelations. The PS3 version of the game came fourth.
The title was originally released digitally in a series of episodes over the previous four weeks – the boxed version of the game collates the episodes with extra content.
Meanwhile, the PS4 release of new EA shooter Battlefield Hardline claimed third place, selling just over 65,000 units in its debut week.
Other new entries last week included the PlayStation Vita Edition of Minecraft, which landed in fifth. It helped the Vita retain its second-place position in the weekly hardware charts.
Two other new titles rounded out the Top Ten: Sega’s Phantasy Star Online 2 Episode 3 Deluxe Package and Takara Tomy Art’ catchily-titled PriPara & Pretty Rhythm: PriPara de Tsukaeru Oshare Item 1450!, which took ninth and tenth place, respectively.
The slew of new releases meant that many of the charts’ stalwarts from the past few weeks dropped out of the Top Ten, including the previous week’s number three, Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, and the second-highest title of the preceding week, Yakuza 0: Chikai no Basho on PS4.
Former chart-topping title Yakuza 0: Chikai no Basho for PS3 dropped to sixth position in its second week.
Here’s the full software Top Ten for the week ending March 22nd:
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (Square Enix) PS4 – 91,093 (New)
- Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Capcom) PS3 – 73,074 (New)
- Battlefield Hardline (EA) PS4 – 65,189 (New)
- Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Capcom) PS4 – 40,749 (New)
- Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (Sony) Vita – 36,593 (New)
- Yakuza 0: Chikai no Basho (Sega) PS3 – 34,234
- Battlefield Hardline (EA) PS3 – 25,034 (New)
- Mario Party 10 (Nintendo) Wii U – 24,254
- Phantasy Star Online 2 Episode 3 Deluxe Package (Sega) Vita – 20,056 (New)
- PriPara & Pretty Rhythm: PriPara de Tsukaeru Oshare Item 1450! (Takara Tomy Arts) 3DS – 19,073 (New)
And here’s the hardware rankings:
- PS4 – 47,429
- PS Vita – 21,716
- New Nintendo 3DS XL – 14,299
- PS3 – 5,990
- Wii U – 5,485
- New Nintendo 3DS – 5,095
- Nintendo 3DS XL – 1,931
- Nintendo 3DS – 1,423
- PS Vita TV – 526
- Xbox One – 322