This week’s issue of MCV is an eSports special, featuring interviews and insight from around that sector of the industry.
Riot Game’s EU eSports boss Jason Yeh tells us how League of Legends became the world’s top eSports game and how it plans on staying there.
Also Alex ‘Xpecial’ Chu of pro gaming side Team Liquid talks about his career playing games competitively, while Nathan Lindberg, VP of sales for media giant Curse, shares his insight about investing in eSports.
This issue also features interviews with Team Ninja on upcoming brawler Dead or Alive 5: Last Round, while IGN’s international business development director Adam Doree tells us how the gaming brand plans to conquer the globe.
Below is the full contents of this week’s issue:
- COVER: Chinese telco giant Snail Games to launch new games console in UK next year
- COVER: MCV to launch new games pitching and showcase event Interface this May
- NEWS: As Nintendo prepares to launch two new consoles and two huge games, the firm hails ‘lucky’ Friday 13th
- NEWS: Indie retailer Hitari unveils new tech site
- NEWS: Minecraft fan fiction is HMV best-seller
- NEWS: eSports organiser EGL teams up with ad agency in bid for global recognition
- eSports Special: Running Riot – we speak to the firm’s EU eSports boss Jason Yeh about how League of Legend reached the top – and it how it plans to stay there
- eSports Special: What does it take to be an eSports Pro? Alex ‘Xpecial’ Chu of pro gaming team Team Liquid talks about his career playing games competitively.
- eSports Special: Curse’s VP of global sales Nathan Lindberg shares his insight about investing in eSports
- THE BIG GAME: Dead or Alive 5: Last Round is the first fighting game to hit stores this year – we speak to producer and director Yosuke Hayashi and Yohei Shimbori about what’s new
- FEATURE: IGN now covers 100 different countries. Adam Doree, the firm’s international business development director talks about the firm’s mission to dominate the globe
- INDIE INTERVIEW: Yacht Club Games on turning to Kickstarter to make NES-style retro-themed platformer Shovel Knight and it’s relationship with its fans
- INSIGHT: IHS’ Piers Harding Rolls on Microsoft’s newly unveiled video game plans for Xbox One and Windows 10
- MONTHLY DATA: With a lack of new releases, it’s the same names at the top of the chart. But in spite of this, UK games retail generated more revenue compared with January 2014. MCV investigates
- DATA: GameTime’s Henry Degnin on how mobile and online IP supported the TV ad space in 2014
- APPOINTMENTS: Bethesda names new UK sales director and Eurogamer bolsters its video team
- SHELF LIFE: GAME Belfast Connswater’s Jasmine McClearly on the retailer’s work with its community, how it launched Call of Duty this year and what it has planned for Half Term
- MARGIN MAKERS: We round up the best eSports products on the market
- INTERNATIONAL: Mexico is now the second biggest games sector in Latin America. MCV investigates