Mario Kart 8 Deluxe held its No.1 spot on the Japanese charts last week, shifting another 86,313 units during its second week on sale. Nintendo’s revamped racer sold an astonishing 280,229 during its first week, taking its cumulative total to 366,542.
That might be a fall of 69 per cent week-on-week, but it’s not far behind the cumulative sales for Switch’s other big first party title, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which charted at No.4 last week after selling another 16,505 copies. To date, Breath of the Wild has sold 393,726 units in Japan, so Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has done extremely well to catch up so soon after just two weeks on sale.
Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X also held its No.2 spot last week, selling another 30,840 copies, but Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia fell two places to No.5 after a sales decline of 41 per cent week-on-week. This paved the way for Capcom’s Monster Hunter XX to climb back up the charts to No.3 after a 7 per cent rise in sales week-on-week.
With no new entries in the charts last week, 1-2-Switch also experienced a slight sales bump of 0.5 per cent last week, as did Mario Sports Superstars, which jumped from No.10 up to No.7 after a rise of 43 per cent week-on-week. This pushed Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition down to No.8, while Pokemon Sun and Moon re-entered the Top Ten after shifting another 5,964 units, taking its cumulative total to 3.75m.
In the hardware charts, the Switch continues to dominate sales, shifting another 47,353 units, while the PS4 remains the second most popular console.
Here’s the Top 10 software chart in full, for the week ending May 7th:
1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Switch, Nintendo, 86,313
2. Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X, 3DS, BANDAI NAMCOEntertainment, 30,840
3. Monster Hunter XX, 3DS, Capcom, 25,929
4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Switch, Nintendo, 16,505
5. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, 3DS, Nintendo, 14,650
6. Pro Yakyu FamiSta Climax, 3DS, BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment, 9,709
7. Mario Sports Superstars, 3DS, Nintendo, 8,112
8. Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition, PS4, FromSoftware, 7,025
9. 1, 2, Switch, Switch, Nintendo, 6,828
10. Pocket Monster Sun/Moon, 3DS, Pokemon, 5,694
And here are the hardware figures for the same period:
Nintendo Switch, 47,353
New Nintendo 3DS LL, 16,398
PS Vita, 6,921
PS4 Pro, 6,393
Nintendo 2DS, 5,879
New Nintendo 3DS, 987
Wii U, 418
Xbox One S, 97