There’s only one week to go until GDC 2018 and our special issue is now out and going to San Francisco as well, jam-packed with content.
For this March issue, we visited Unity’s Copenhagen office for an exclusive interview with founder and CTO Joachim Ante and his team, who reveals the company’s GDC plans and the principles that will drive the company and its huge community to the next level.
We also looked at the reasons behind Rainbow Six Siege’s success, as the title is stronger than ever on the eve of the game’s third year of post-release content and following a very successful Six Invitational in Montreal.
Elsewhere, the Assassin’s Creed Discovery Tour draws a blurry line between historical textbook and director’s commentary. We had a chat with Ubisoft Montreal franchise historian Maxime Durand to find out more.
Meanwhile, Mountains’ mobile gem Florence took the games industry by surprise in February with its original approach to storytelling. As the game is about to launch on Android, founder and creative director Ken Wong told us about the story behind Florence’s story.
In this issue, we also took a look behind the scenes of the development of The Sexy Brutale, caught up with Focus Home Interactive CEO about his ambitions for the firm, talked to Rare about Sea of Thieves’ single crossplay community and chatted with Rebellion about how the team came up with one of Sniper Elite’s most memorable elements: the x-ray killcam.
The latest digital edition can be read here for free (and is also embedded below) and here are the full contents of this month’s issue:
- The editor: Guided by principles (p.6)
- Critical path: The key dates of this month (p.8)
- Big interview: Unity talks about its new principles (p.12)
- Rising star: Caroline Oakes talks esports (p.18)
- Under the influence: Youtube hit Arekkz Gaming (p.22)
- Ins and outs: And all our recruitment advice (p.32)
- Shoot and loot: Monetising popular shooters (p.40)
- Sea of Thieves: The boon of crossplay and accessibility (p.44)
- Immortal: Unchained: Toadman Interactive’s incoming Soulslike (p.50)
- Assassin’s Creed: Discovery Mode teaches players history (p.58)
- Focus Home Interactive: CEO Cédric Lagarrigue has grand plans (p.62)
- Florence: How game design can tell love stories (p.66)
- Fresh meat: A look at new UK studio Interior Night (p.72)
- New or improved: Upcoming games that break the mould (Into the Breach, VR experience The Void, and The Council) (p.84)
- When we made… : The Sexy Brutale (p.90)
- Brand flakes: The Lord of the Rings Living Card Game (p.94)
- Mechanically sound: Sniper Elite’s x-ray killcam (p.96)
- The final boss: Bithell Games’ Mike Bithell (p.98)