A brand new entry in the Taiko Drum Master series was the best-selling game in Japan last week, according to data from Famitsu.
The 3DS title sold 40,946 units in its first week on shelves, outselling second place, rival 3DS title Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Spirit of Justice from Capcom. That title debuted at No.1, with sales plummeting 85 per cent in its second week on sale.
A new title, Hakuoki Shinkai: Hana no Sho from Idea Factory, debuted in third place. That game sold 12,063 units on the PlayStation Vita.
Dragon Quest Hero game, Futago no Ou to Yogen no Owari, sees a one place shuffle, with the Vita edition dropping to fourth and the PS4 SKU charting at No.5. The PS3 version, however, drops two places to eighth.
Blizzard’s Overwatch – launched in the region by Square Enix – falls two places this week to No.6, selling 7,812 units.
Meanwhile, Nintendo’s re-releases of the original generation of Pokmon return to the Top Ten at No.9. This is possibly due to excitement around the new entries in the series – Sun and Moon – after more information was released about them at E3.
Here’s the software Top Ten for the week ending June 19th:
1. Taiko Drum Master: Dokodon! Mystery Adventure (Bandai Namco) 3DS – 40,946 (New)
2. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Spirit of Justice (Capcom) 3DS – 28,306
3. Hakuoki Shinkai: Hana no Sho (Idea Factory) Vita – 12,063 (New)
4. Dragon Quest Heroes II: Futago no Ou to Yogen no Owari (Square Enix) Vita – 11,531
5. Dragon Quest Heroes II: Futago no Ou to Yogen no Owari (Square Enix) PS4 – 8,499
6. Overwatch Origins Edition (Square Enix) PS4 – 7,812
7. Kirby: Planet Robobot (Nintendo) 3DS – 7,020
8. Dragon Quest Heroes II: Futago no Ou to Yogen no Owari (Square Enix) PS3 – 5,668
9. Pocket Monster Red/Green/Blue/Yellow (Nintendo) 3DS – 5,548
10. Splatoon (Nintendo) Wii U – 5,320
And here are the hardware numbers:
1. PS4 – 18,997
2. New Nintendo 3DS LL – 14,981
3. PS Vita – 11,398
4. Wii U – 4,430
5. New Nintendo 3DS – 2,690
6. PS3 – 836
7. Nintendo 3DS – 431
8. Nintendo 3DS LL – 263
9. Xbox One, 40
10. PS VitaTV – 17