Capcom’s Monster Hunter XX has already smashed the 1m mark in Japan, according to the latest data from Famitsu, prompting a 138 per cent rise in New Nintendo 3DS LL sales compared to the previous week. Nintendo’s 2DS and New 3DS also saw a sales lift last week, growing 36 and 80 per cent week-on-week respectively.
The latest entry in the Monster Hunter series, which is an expanded version of 2016’s Monster Hunter Generations on 3DS (known simply as Monster Hunter X in Japan), sold a massive 1,014,584 units in its first week on shelves – an impressive feat considering it only launched on March 18th, a day before Famitsu’s charts closed.
Other new entries in the charts still put in a respectable performance, however, with Marvelous’ Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash on PS4 debuting at No.2 with 48,604 units sold. Bandai Namco’s Accel World vs Sword Art Online: Millennium Twilight also debuted at No.3 on Vita and No.5 on PS4 respectively, selling a combined total of 65,342 units.
Elsewhere, the Switch version of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild dropped one place to No.4 after a 35 per cent fall in sales week-on-week, but the Wii U version fell out of the Top Ten altogether.
The week before’s No.1, Ubisoft’s Ghost Recon Wildlands, also fell to No.6 last week, selling 28,206 units. That’s a decline of 70 per cent week-on-week.
In the hardware charts, the Switch continues its reign as the best-selling piece platform in Japan, with another 50,821 units sold. That brings its total so far to 444,878 units.
Here’s the Top Ten in full for the week ending March 19th.
1. Monster Hunter XX, 3DS, Capcom, 1,014,584 (New)
2. Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash, PS4, Marvelous, 48,604 (New)
3. Accel World vs. Sword Art Online: Millennium Twilight, Vita, BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment, 35,752 (New)
4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Switch, Nintendo, 30,993
5. Accel World vs. Sword Art Online: Millennium Twilight, PS4, BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment, 29,590 (New)
6. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands, PS4, Ubisoft, 28,206
7. Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 Remix, PS4, Square Enix, 15,880
8. Horizon: Zero Dawn, PS4, Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Asia, 15,560
9. 1, 2, Switch, Switch, Nintendo, 15,389
10. Konoyo no Hate de Koi wo Utau Shojo YU-NO, PS4, 5pb., 14,741 (New)
And here are the weekly hardware figures for the same period:
Nintendo Switch, 50,821
New Nintendo 3DS LL, 46,125
PS Vita, 8,459
Nintendo 2DS, 6,989
PS4 Pro, 5,434
New Nintendo 3DS, 3,423
Wii U, 441
Xbox One S, 95
Xbox One, 17