Microsoft may have impressed with its Gamescom 2014 presentation, but Sony stepped up to steal this year’s Cologne show.
The string of announcements was impressive, and while it may not have matched Microsoft’s big ‘wow’ moment in announcing the single platform capture of a big formerly multi-platform IP, it instead imposed itself with a number of new IP and exclusives that stands unrivalled in the current console market.
New IP included Hellblade from Ninja Theory, The Tomorow Children from the PixelJunk creators and Housemarque’s Alienation, as well as Michel Ancel’s absurdly ambitious Wild.
There was also the first gameplay footage from PS4 exclusive Bloodborne, a visually stunning DriveClub demo and a PS4 adaptation of the critically adored Vita title Tearaway.
There was even some hardware launch in the news of a November launch for PlayStation TV and a 2015 date for streaming games service PlayStaiton Now, with Britain first in line for a beta. The PS4 is getting a fascinating functionality boost in the form of Shareplay as well.
It didn’t stop there, either – Destiny and Far Cry 4 will offer exclusive content on PS4 while PC hit DayZ is also PS4 bound.
Oh, and there’s the tiny matter of 10m PS4s sold, too. It was always a big ask for Sony to live up to its impressive E3 showing but any concerns that it had lost its momentum are well and truly abated.
Here’s a roundup of all the news. If you missed Microsoft’s presentation earlier you can see that news roundup here.
- PS4 install base hits 10m – LINK
- PixelJunk creator returns to 3D games with The Tomorrow Children – LINK
- DayZ heading to PS4 – LINK
- Ninja Theory announces new IP Hellblade – LINK
- Destiny is the most pre-ordered new IP ever; Volume and Papers Please heading to PlayStation – LINK
- Far Cry 4 gets friends free trials exclusive on PS4 – LINK
- PS Now hitting Europe in 2015, PS TV this year – LINK
- PS4 System Software Update 2.0 to introduce SharePlay – LINK
- Tearaway is coming to PS4 – LINK
- Alienation is the latest PlayStation-exclusive IP from Housemarque – LINK
- Michel Ancel announces Wild – LINK
- Horror game P.T. leads strong PlayStation game lineup – LINK