IGN has apologised for a story published over the weekend claiming that Sony had cancelled The Last Guardian.
It originally quoted an internal source speaking to IGN Russia” who said that confirmation of the game’s cancellation was shared at an internal Sony meeting last week.
However, Sony’s head of software product development Scott Rohde took to Twitter to claim that he and president of Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida laughed at this rumour over dinner” and that The Last Guardian has NOT been cancelled”.
Spike TV’s Geoff Keighley later added: Just interviewed Shawn Layden, new CEO of SCEA. He says The Last Guardian is in full development in Japan. Unequivocally.”
IGN went on to publish an official apology.
As for The Last Guardian, will we see anything of it at Sony’s E3 conference tonight? And if so, will it have made the anticipated move to PS4? Expect plenty of noise should the game finally make its long-awaited re-appearance.
— Scott Rohde (@RohdeScott) June 8, 2014
Just interviewed Shawn Layden, new CEO of SCEA. He says The Last Guardian is in full development in Japan. Unequivocally. Full intvu tmrw.
— Geoff Keighley (@geoffkeighley) June 9, 2014