The legal dispute between Patrice Desilets and Ubisoft is over, with the rights for 1666: Amsterdam exchanging hands in the process.
Having previously left the developer for THQ, Desilets re-joined Ubisoft in 2013. However, the pair quickly fell out with Desilets being suspended just two months later, leading to him launching a lawsuit in which he argued he was entitled to re-acquire the game that he was working on at THQ prior to its acquisition.
"Putting aside our past differences, Patrice and I are above all interested in the creation of video games and the evolution of this medium of entertainment," Ubisoft Montral and Toronto CEO Yannis Mallat said. "This agreement is good news for everyone.
Ubisoft’s creative teams are currently working on innovative projects that will mark our industry for years to come. This is precisely where we want to focus our energy, on our teams, to continue what we have been building in Quebec for nearly 20 years.
As we have always said, Patrice is a talented designer and we wish him all the best in the development of his future endeavours."
It appears that there will be no immediate development of the license, however, as Desilets is currently working on Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey.
"I will now devote myself entirely to the development of Ancestors: the Humankind Odyssey, my next game with Panache Digital Games,” Desilets added. This is what matters most to me today: making the best games and showing the world the creative talent of Quebecers. I also wish every success to the Ubisoft teams."
— Patrice Desilets (@PatriceDez) April 25, 2016