Activision’s record-breaking Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has claimed its fourth consecutive number one in the ELSPA GfK-ChartTrack All Formats Top 40.
It does so despite a seven per cent drop in sales – and despite the advances of EA’s resurgent FIFA 10 which enjoys a 24 per cent increase in sales as the festive gift-giving season gets well and truly underway.
Last year, Call of Duty: World at War managed five consecutive number one’s before FIFA 09 eventually overtook it to claim the Christmas charts crown.
FIFA 10’s success comes at the expense of Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed II, which drops one place to third.
You have to go all the way down to 30th to find the highest place new entry – Ubisoft’s Wii outing Just Dance. The only other new entry is EA’s The Saboteur, which managed only 39th in its first week.
Notable by its absence is Activision’s Tony Hawk: Ride.
Here’s the ELSPA GfK-ChartTrack All Formats Top 10 in full (for the week ending December 5th):
1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard)
2. FIFA 10 (EA)
3. Assassin’s Creed II (Ubisoft)
4. New Super Mario Bros Wii (Nintendo)
5. Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
6. Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
7. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Sega)
8. Lego Indiana Jones 2” The Adventure Continues (LucasArts)
9. Forza Motorsport 3 (Microsoft)
10. Mario kart Wii (Nintendo)