The Xbox 360's iron grip on the North American market has finally been released.
Joystiq reports that the latest numbers from NPD show that, despite flat sales, Nintendo's 3DS was the best selling hardware in North America in May. That it beat Microsoft's machine means that Xbox 360 must have suffered a significant year-on-year sales dip.
Microsoft released a press release claiming that Xbox 360 sold more than any other console in the US for the 29th consecutive month” but this is only true if handhelds are not factored into the numbers.
However, May was described by NPD as a slow month overall” although all the successes were Nintendo's – the 3DS claimed three different spots in the Top Ten, boasting a 60 per cent annual boost in software sales
Here's the North American May Top Ten
1. Injustice: Gods Among Us (Sony)
2. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (Activision)
3. Donkey Kong Country Returns (Nintendo)
4. Dead Island: Riptide (Deeps Silver)
5. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Nintendo)
6. Metro: Last Light (Deep Silver)
7. NBA 2K13 (2K Games)
8. Bioshock Infinite (2K Games)
9. Battlefield 3 (EA)
10. LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Warner)