A YouGov poll has revealed that the majority of Britons believe that video games violence can be a catalyst for real-world violence.
When asked if they agreed or disagreed with the statement ‘video games can be a cause of real-world violence and aggression' 61 per cent of those who responded with a yes/no answer agreed that they did, leaving 39 per cent who disagreed.
57 per cent felt games can be a ‘useful outlet for frustrations and aggression' with 43 per cent not believing that was the case.
Perhaps unsurprisingly the younger the respondent the less likely they were to perceive a link between game and real violence.
42 per cent of 18-24 year olds agreed with a link, 48 per cent of 25-39 year olds, 61 per cent of 40-59 year olds and 79 per cent of those aged 60 and over.
Conversely, the younger you are the more likely you are to think that games can be a useful outlet for aggression.
In addition, just 48 per cent of men believed in the games violence link while 71 per cent of women subscribed to the theory. 74 per cent of those with no experience of violent games presumed the link while just 35 per cent of gamers did.
Last week Lib Dem leader and deputy Prime minister Nick Clegg told LBC radio that games like Grand Theft Auto V can have a corrosive effect on players' behaviour”.