Infogrames has sold its remaining stake in PAL-fulfillment arm Distribution Partners to Namco Bandai – signalling Atari's latest step in its quest to eventually become an online-led publisher.
Distribution Partners was formed last year, when Namco Bandai acquired a 34 per cent stake in Infogrames' European and Asian distribution operations. And now Atari Europe has decided to exercise the ‘put option' to divest its remaining 66 per cent stake.
The move is designed to accelerate the firm's transformation into a ‘content-led online games company,' and will give the publisher funds in order to invest in development, studio and publishing operations.
This announcement is the culmination of our strategic relationship with Namco Bandai Games Europe who have proven to be an outstanding partner in creating the Distribution Partners business,” said Infogrames' CEO David Gardner.
This will now allow Atari to focus its financial resources and creative energy exclusively on developing and publishing online-enabled games, shifting our operations towards servicing recurring revenues and a higher-margin online business model while still benefiting from access to Distribution Partners strong international distribution network.”
Atari will continue to use Distribution Partners for a five-year period in Europe, Asia, Africa, Middle East, Central and South America, Australia and New Zealand.