Blockbuster shooter Call of Duty: Black Ops III has shot to number one in the Japanese retail charts, fighting off a number of home-grown titles.
The latest in Activision's franchise (which is published by Sony on PlayStation in Japan) sold nearly 150,000 units on PS4, with a further 25,000 on PS3 – the latter version took third position in the software rankings, according to Famitsu.
Meanwhile, Disney Magical World 2, a sequel to the original 3DS life simulation game, swiped the second spot. It shifted almost 70,000 copies in its debut week.
The only other new entries were local efforts To-Love-Ru Darkness: True Princess for PlayStation Vita and Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force for PS4. The games sold around 20,000 and 15,000 copies to rest at fifth and sixth place, respectively.
The previous week's best-selling game, God Eater Resurrection on Vita, fell to fourth position as sales dropped by around 95,000 in its second week. The PS4 version of the title vanished from the Top Ten altogether, despite taking the number two spot previously.
While Sony and Bandai Namco ruled the very top of the charts for another week, Nintendo once again held onto the bottom of the Top Ten. The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes, Super Mario Maker and Splatoon filled out numbers eight, nine and 10, respectively.
Sales of both Mario Maker and Splatoon rose week-on-week, while the Zelda spin-off saw sales drop by about 8,000 units, dropping from third place.
Over in the hardware battle, PS4 reigned supreme for another week at the top of the rankings. It's handheld sibling, the Vita, fell back down the charts as Nintendo's New 3DS XL climbed back to second place.
Here is the software Top Ten for the week ending November 8th:
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Sony) PS4 – 147,204 (New)
- Disney Magical World 2 (Bandai Namco) 3DS – 69,864 (New)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Sony) PS3 – 25,398 (New)
- God Eater Resurrection (Bandai Namco) Vita – 22,332
- To-Love-Ru Darkness: True Princess (Furyu) Vita– 19,806 (New)
- Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force (Compile Heart) PS4 – 14,673 (New)
- Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Akaneko-dan / Shiroinu-tai (Level 5) 3DS – 14,202
- The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes (Nintendo) 3DS – 13,213
- Super Mario Maker (Nintendo) Wii U – 13,025
- Splatoon (Nintendo) Wii U – 9,181
Here are the weekly hardware sales:
- PS4 – 32,593
- New Nintendo 3DS XL – 16,331
- PS Vita – 13,360
- New Nintendo 3DS – 9,842
- Wii U – 9,268
- PS3 – 1,427
- Nintendo 3DS – 983
- Xbox One – 552
- PS Vita TV – 464
- Nintendo 3DS XL – 366