Having already attracted criticism for its online game server shutdowns in the past, EA has announced a new round of closures that will likely be the most controversial yet.
Included in the list is EA Sports MMA which, notoriously, was the first game to include an Online Pass. This means, of course, that a proportion of its user base will have paid an additional sum to access the title's online functions.
Also on the chopping block are the servers for abandoned iOS title Battlefield 3: Aftershock, which was purchased by thousands of gamers prior to its removal from the App Store last month.
EA has always justified its server closures on the fact that very few gamers persist in playing older titles. However, this new list is likely to irk with those whose 40 outlay still holds fresh in the mind.
Here's the complete list:
April 13, 2012 — Online Services Shutdown
• BOOM BLOX Bash Party for Wii
• Burnout™ Revenge for Xbox 360
• EA Create for PC, PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360
• EA Sports Active 2.0 forPlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360
• EA Sports Active NFL Training Camp for Wii
• FIFA 10 for PlayStation Portable and Wii
• The Godfather™ II for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
• MMA for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
• Need for Speed™ ProStreet for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
• The Saboteur™ (loss of The Midnight Club access) for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
• Spare Parts for PlayStation 3 Xbox 360
March 31, 2012 — Online Services Shutdown
• BATTLEFIELD™ 3: Aftershock for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
• Fantasi Safari for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
• Ghost Harvest for iPhone