If there were ever a week to highlight the disparity between the UK and Japanese games software markets, it would be this one.
Last week saw the launch of Warner Bros' open-world zombie-meets-parkour title Dying Light in Japan, almost two months after the game's chart-topping success in the UK.
The PS4 edition of the game landed in second place in the Japanese retail charts, according to the latest data from Famitsu, selling just north of 25,000 units.
Coming in first place, however, was fellow debut title Style Savvy 3: KiraKira Code for the 3DS.
The fashion management simulation game shifted almost 59,000 units – more than double Dying Light's week one sales.
Rounding out a refreshed podium full of brand new releases was the charmingly-titled Future Card Buddyfight: Yujo no Bakunetsu Fight!, also for 3DS, which placed third with 13,193 copies sold.
The only other new entry to crack the software Top Ten was the Japanese release of Saints Row IV: Re-Elected & Gat Out of Hell, managing eighth place.
Meanwhile, the previous week's biggest-selling game, Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin, completely vanished from the Top Ten after just one week on sale.
Former number two, Dai-3-ji Super Robot Taisen Z: Tengoku-hen, clung onto the Top Ten in ninth position.
Continued success story Yokai Watch 2 re-entered the Top Ten after a period of absence, climbing to sixth.
Over in the hardware rankings, the PS4 was once again the best-selling machine of the week.
However, the former long-standing king of the charts, Nintendo's new 3DS XL, continued to shrink the gap – less than 300 sales separated the handheld and Sony's home console.
Here's the weekly software Top Ten for the week ending April 19th:
- Style Savvy 3: KiraKira Code (Nintendo) 3DS – 58,965 (New)
- Dying Light (Warner Bros) PS4 – 25,046 (New)
- Future Card Buddyfight: Yujo no Bakunetsu Fight! (Furyu) 3DS – 13,193 (New)
- Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (Sony) Vita – 11,121
- One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 (Bandai Namco) PS3 – 7,990
- Yokai Watch 2: Shinuchi (Level 5) 3DS – 7,008
- Mario Party 10 (Nintendo) Wii U – 6,586
- Saints Row IV: Re-Elected & Gat Out of Hell (Spike Chunsoft) PS4 – 6,581 (New)
- Dai-3-ji Super Robot Taisen Z: Tengoku-hen (Bandai Namco) PS3 – 6,531
- Bloodborne (Sony) PS4 – 5,703
And here are the weekly hardware rankings:
- PS4 – 14,324
- New Nintendo 3DS XL – 14,068
- PS Vita – 13,392
- Wii U – 5,008
- New Nintendo 3DS – 4,172
- PS3 – 3,958
- Nintendo 3DS XL – 1,485
- Nintendo 3DS – 1,049
- Xbox One – 513
- PS Vita TV – 407