The (re)(re)release of Final Fantasy X/X-2 on PS4 wasn't enough to stop the Japanese games industry slowing last week.
Originally launched on PS3 last year, the PS4 edition of the remastered PS2 title topped the Japanese software charts last week, outselling former number one Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros Edition by less than 100 units.
Despite this, overall hardware sales slumped across the board, with the New 3DS XL, PS4 and Vita all falling by around 6,000 units.
However, the launch of the FFX/X-2 Remaster was seemingly enough to allow PS4 to crawl into second place behind Nintendo's New 3DS XL.
The rest of the hardware rankings remained completely static.
Back in the software charts, numbers similarly saw a universal drop. The Vita edition of Minecraft managed to remain in third position as previous number two title Style Savvy 3 leapfrogged it down to fourth place.
The only new entry in the Top Ten other than FFX/X-2 was 2K's Borderlands compilation, The Handsome Collection, for PS4. The game placed fifth, knocking Square Enix's Bravely Second down to sixth.
Further down, Pokmon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire reentered the Top Ten as 3DS music game Theatrhythm Dragon Quest fell out of the rankings.
Here is the software Top Ten for the week ending May 17th, according to the latest data from Famitsu:
- Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (Square Enix) PS4 – 17,972
- Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros Edition (GungHo Online Entertainment) 3DS – 17,876
- Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (Sony) Vita – 10,156
- Style Savvy 3: KiraKira Code (Nintendo) 3DS – 7,728
- Borderlands: The Handsome Collection (2K Games) PS4 – 7,433 (New)
- Bravely Second (Square Enix) 3DS – 6,683
- Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo) Wii U – 5,571
- Xenoblade Chronicles X (Nintendo) Wii U – 4,211
- Yokai Watch 2: Shinuchi (Level 5) 3DS – 4,001
- Pocket Monster Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (The Pokmon Company) 3DS – 3,230
And here are the hardware rankings:
- New Nintendo 3DS XL – 11,669
- PS4 – 10,945
- PS Vita – 10,928
- Wii U – 6,698
- New Nintendo 3DS – 2,817
- PS3 – 2,663
- Nintendo 3DS XL – 856
- Nintendo 3DS – 668
- PS Vita TV – 407
- Xbox One – 155