UPDATE: It has emerged that the Japanese console games market in 2014 had its worst performance for 24 years.
As translated by NeoGaf, 2014's 368.55bn total was the sector's lowest total for nearly a quarter of a century. As recently as 2007 the region's console games market was worth 688bn.
ORIGINAL STORY: The total Japanese video games market declined by nearly ten per cent in 2014, Famitsu data has revealed.
The 2014 market reached a value of 368.55bn, down from 2013's 408.97bn. Hardware fell 8.5 per cent to 142.15bn and software declined by 10.7 per cent to 226.4bn.
Nintendo 3DS was by far and away the best selling console, with combined sales of its assorted models reaching 3,153,045 units. PlayStation Vita was the second best with sales, when combined with Vita TV, of 1,147,936.
Despite vying for chart position for much of the year, PS4 ended up far ahead of rival Wii U with unit sales of 925,570 and 604,856 respectively. PS3 sold 450,034 units while Xbox One managed just 45,958 – over half of which were sold in its first week of release on September 4th.
Level 5's 3DS sensation Yokai Watch 2 Ganso/Honke was the year's best-selling game, shifting 3,050,178 units. Only four other games sold over a million units – Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (2,464,850), Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (2,381,177), Super Smash Bros on 3DS (2,066,022) and Yokai Watch 2: Shinuchi (2,007,327).
The 2014 Top Ten includes eight 3DS games and two Wii U titles. Three are Yokai Watch titles.
Here are the hardware charts:
1. Nintendo 3DS (including 3DS, 3DS LL, New 3DS, New 3DS LL) –3,153,045
2. PS Vita (including Vita TV) –1,147,936
3. PS4 –925,570
4. Wii U –604,856
5. PS3 –450,034
6. Xbox One –45,958
And the software:
1. Yokai Watch 2: Ganso/Honke (Level 5) 3DS – 3,050,178
2. Pocket Monster Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire (Pokemon Company) 3DS – 2,464,850
3. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Capcom) 3DS 2,381,177
4. Super Smash Bros (Nintendo) 3DS – 2,066,022
5. Yokai Watch 2: Shinuchi (Level 5) 3DS – 2,007,327
6. Yokai Watch (Level 5) 3DS – 994,346
7. Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo) Wii U Nintendo – 842,053
8. Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru to Ruka no Fushigi na Fushigi na Kagi (Square Enix) 3DS – 748,139
9. Kirby: Triple Deluxe (Nintendo) 3DS – 687,957
10. Super Smash Bros (Nintendo) Wii U – 478,366