June 2012 figures are in from the NPD Group, and they're pretty ugly.
YOY numbers across the board were down with the exception accessories. Most notably devastated was hardware which took a 45 per cent dive going from $364m to $201m.
Overall sales were down from $989m in 2011 to $699m in 2012 (a 30 per cent drop), and software sales went from $461m to $328m (a 29 per cent decline). Accessories provided the one positive point, coming in up four per cent from 2011 at $169.8m.
Total sales have dipped YOY the last seven months and counting.
As far as specific chart toppers go, Xbox 360 and Lego Batman 2 emerged winners for the slower than slow month.
The software top ten chart:
June 2012 Top 10 Games (New Physical Retail across all platforms including PC)
- Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (360, Wii, PS3, NDS, 3DS, PSV, PC)
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (360, PS3, PC)
- Diablo III (PC)
- Max Payne 3 (360, PS3, PC)
- NBA 2K12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2, PC)
- Batman Arkham City (360, PS3, PC)
- Pokemon Conquest (NDS)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)
- Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)
- The Amazing Spider-Man (360, PS3, 3DS, NDS, Wii)