Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has now surpassed The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild as the best-selling Switch title in Japan, according to the latest figures from Famitsu.
Despite 20 per cent fall in sales week-on-week, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe enjoyed its fourth week at No.1 in Japan last week, taking its total sales to 421,693 units. Breath of the Wild, meanwhile, only sold another 7,796 units last week, bringing its total cumulative sales to 409,812 - making Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's success all the more impressive considering it's only been on shop shelves since the end of April.
Elsewhere in the charts, there were two new entries last week. Bethesda's Prey debuted at No.5 after selling 7,230 units on PS4, and Spike Chunsoft's PS4 title Danganronpa 1-2 Reload entered the charts at No.7 with 4,106 copies sold.
In the hardware charts, a number of consoles saw a rise in sales last week, including the Nintendo Switch, whose sales grew by seven per cent week-on-week. The PS Vita also saw a nine per cent bump week-on-week, while sales of Nintendo's 2DS grew by three per cent week-on-week.
Here's the Top Ten software chart in full for the week ending May 21st:
1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Switch, Nintendo, 24,406
2. Monster Hunter XX, 3DS, Capcom, 11,581
3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Switch, Nintendo, 7,796
4. Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X, 3DS, BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment, 7,537
5. Prey, PS4, Bethesda Softworks, 7,230 (New)
6. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, 3DS, Nintendo, 4,532
7. Danganronpa 1-2 Reload, PS4, Spike Chunsoft, 4,106 (New)
8. NieR: Automata, PS4, Square Enix, 3,786
9. Attack on Titan: Shichi kara no Dasshutsu, 3DS, Koei Tecmo Games, 3,134
10. Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition, PS4, FromSoftware, 3,079
And here are the hardware figures for the same period:
Nintendo Switch, 27,264
New Nintendo 3DS LL, 9,794
PS Vita, 4,596
PS4 Pro, 4,166
Nintendo 2DS, 3,091
New Nintendo 3DS, 489
Wii U, 206
Xbox One S, 97