Konami's Metal Gear Solid V debuts at the top of the charts this week, but it failed the beat the Week One sales of both the Batman: Arkham Knight and The Witcher III.
It is also the best-selling week one for the series so far, beating the sales of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty by 37 per cent.
The PlayStation 4 SKU was the best-selling edition, claiming 72 per cent of all sales, while the Xbox One SKU claimed 22 per cent.
Meanwhile, the PS3 and Xbox 360 editions formed only five per cent of the stealth title's sales overall.
Warner Bros' Mad Max debuts in second place, while Gears of War: Ultimate Edition falls to No.3 with a 64 per cent drop in sales.
Below is the software Top Ten for the week ending September 5th:
1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Konami)
2. Mad Max (Warner Bros)
3. Gears of War: Ultimate Edition (Microsoft)
4. Until Dawn (Sony)
5. Disney Infinity 3.0 (Disney)
6. Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar)
7. LEGO Jurassic World (Warner Bros)
8. Minecraft: PlayStation Edition (Sony)
9. Minecraft: Xbox Edition (Microsoft)
10. Batman: Arkham Knight (Warner Bros)