A 74 per cent week-on-week jump in sales has seen Microsoft's Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition claim its first No.1 in the UKIE GfK Chart-Track All Formats Top 40.
In doing so it forces Nintendo's latest Wii U release Pikmin 3 to settle for second place in its debut week. The game may well have performed well digitally, however, with reports of limited physical stock on the UK High Street and some competitive eShop code pricing from GAME.
Pikmin 2 managed a 32nd place debut upon its GameCube release in 2004.
The next highest new entry is the limited physical edition of Nintendo's New Super Luigi 3, which debuted in 13th. Ubisoft's The Smurfs 2 enters the charts in 25th on its second week of release.
Here's the Top 20 in full for the week ending July 27th:
1. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (Microsoft)
2. Pikmin 3 (Nintendo)
3. The Last of Us (Sony)
4. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo)
5. Mario and Luigi: Dream Team Bros (Nintendo)
6. FIFA 13 (EA)
7. Far Cry 3 (Ubisoft)
8. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Legendary Edition (Bethesda)
9. Tomb Raider (Square Enix)
10. LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Warner Bros)
11. Assassin's Creed III (Ubisoft)
12. Grand Theft Auto IV (Rockstar)
13. New Super Luigi U (Nintendo)
14. Max Payne 3 (Rockstar)
15. LEGO The Lord of the Rings (Warner Bros)
16. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Activision)
17. Grand Theft Auto Episodes: Liberty City (Rockstar)
18. Dynasty Warriors 8 (Tecmo Koei)
19. Battlefield 3 (EA)
20. Need for Speed: Most Wanted (EA)