The latest entry in Square Enix's Dragon Quest series – Monsters: Joker 3 – was this week's best-performing game in Japan, according to data provided by Famitsu.
The 3DS title sold 375,612 units during its first week on shelves in the region ahead of fellow new title, Dark Souls III.
The PlayStation 4 SKU of that title shifted 218,764. Those weren't the only new titles in Japan this week.
Sega's Vita title Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X debuted in third place with 76,353 copies sold. Meanwhile Koei Tecmo launched not one but two new games in Japan.
The firm released Dead or Alive Xtreme 3: Venus for the PS4 and Vita, which shifted 60,434 units between them, and reaching fourth and sixth places respectively. The firm's other title – Nobunaga's Ambition: Sozo - Sengoku Risshiden – launched on PlayStation 4, Vita and PlayStation 3.
The only only non-new title in the Japanese Top Ten this week is Pokkn Tournamnet, which holds fifth place. The game fell four places from No.1, with sales dipping 53 per cent week-on-week.
The wealth of new PlayStation 4 titles results in a 30 per cent rise in that hardware's sales. The likes of new Dead or Alive and Nobunaga's Ambition titles also saw a slight rise in PlayStation Vita sales.
Here is the software Top Ten for the week ending March 20th:
1. Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 (Square Enix) 3DS – 375,612 (New)
2. Dark Souls III (From Software) PS4 – 218,764 (New)
3. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X (Sega) Vita – 76,353 (New)
4. Dead or Alive Xtreme 3: Fortune (Koei Tecmo) PS4 – 37,443 (New)
5. Pokken Tournament (Pokmon) Wii U – 33,988
6. Dead or Alive Xtreme 3: Venus (Koei Tecmo) Vita – 22,991 (New)
7. Nobunaga's Ambition: Sozo - Sengoku Risshiden (Koei Tecmo) PS4 – 22,311 (New)
8. Ansatsu Kyoshitsu: Assassin Ikusei Keikaku!! (Bandai Namco) 3DS – 19,306 (New)
9. Nobunaga's Ambition: Sozo - Sengoku Risshiden (Koei Tecmo) Vita – 14,914 (New)
10. Nobunaga's Ambition: Sozo - Sengoku Risshiden (Koei Tecmo) PS3 – 14,006 (New)
And here are the hardware numbers:
1. PS4 – 35,565
2. PS Vita – 20,329
3. New Nintendo 3DS LL – 19,167
4. New Nintendo 3DS – 5,281
5. Wii U – 5,034
6. PS3 – 1,132
7. Nintendo 3DS – 669
8. Nintendo 3DS LL – 194
9. Xbox One – 110
10. PS VitaTV – 54