Over-the-top free roaming action title Prototype topped the June software charts in the US, with the 419,900 sales enjoyed by the Xbox 360 SKU bettering both high-profile new arrivals and perennial sellers. The PS3 SKU shifted around 181,100 units.
Much like the wider games market in North America, there were significant declines in the software sector, with overall sales falling 31 per cent to $625.8m.
THQ's surprise worldwide hit UFC 2009: Undisputed was next up with the Xbox 360 SKU shifting 338,300 units.
There was a strong debut for EA's Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10, too, which doubled the first month sales of both the ‘09 and ‘08 versions.
EA also managed the unthinkable – it topped the Wii software charts with its personal fitness trainer EA Sports Active, bettering Nintendo's big franchise favourites.
It's the first time since release that Wii Play has not figured in the Top 10 – a remarkable achievement for a game that's now 29 months old. Here's the Top Ten:
1. Prototype – Xbox 360 (Activision Blizzard) 419.9k
2. UFC 2009: Undisputed – Xbox 360 (THQ) 338.3k
3. EA Sports Active – Wii (EA) 289.1k
4. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 – Wii (272.4k)
5. Wii Fit – Wii (Nintendo) 271.6k
6. Fight Night Round 4 – Xbox 360 (EA) 260.8k
7. Fight Night Round 4 – PS3 (EA) 210.3k
8. Mario Kart Wii – Wii (Nintendo) 202.1k
9. Red Faction: Guerrilla – Xbox 360 (THQ) 199.4k
10. InFamous – PS3 (Sony) 192.7k