Sony has confirmed that the PS4's Party Chat functionality will not be locked behind the new PlayStation Plus paywall.
In addition, functionality such as Netflix and free-to-play games will also be freely accessible to non-subscribers.
This, along with the fact that PSN Friends Lists will be able to support up to 2,000 people, was confirmed in PlayStation Access video that can be seen below.
Also reiterated and/or confirmed:
- Sony has plans to support 3D content with the promise of more news soon”
- PS4 will NOT support DualShock 3 but WILL support PlayStation Move
- The PS3 was ‘Piano Black'. PS4 is ‘Jet Black'
- The XMB will from PS4 onwards be known as the PlayStation Dynamic Menu
- A user's PSN avatar and username will be carried over from PS3 to PS4
- The PlayStation camera uses its four microphones for both directional audio input and output
Here's the video: