2017 success story PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds has capped off an incredible debut on the market by claiming no less than seven different Guinness World Records.
These records are:
- Most actively played video game on Steam – Recorded a peak of 1,984,278 concurrent players as of Oct 10th, 2017*
- Fastest time for a Steam Early Access video game to gross $100 million in revenue – 79 days, achieved on June 10, 2017
- First non-Valve video game to be the most played game on Steam – First topped the Steam charts on Aug 27th, 2017
- Fastest time for a Steam Early Access video game to sell one million units – 16 days
- Most concurrent players for a Steam Early Access video game – 2.6m
- Most concurrent players on Steam for a non-Valve video game – 2.6m
- The first video game to reach 2m concurrent players on Steam
*Note that this number has since been well and truly trounced. The game this week hit a new concurrent user record – 2,866,566 players.
PUBG’s Guinness win was announced at the Golden Joystick awards, where it also picked up the PC Game of the Year and Best Multiplayer Game prizes.
“We are thrilled to be acknowledged by Guinness World Records for our momentum, massive growth, and more importantly how engaged our fans have been with PUBG,” PUBG Corp boss CH Kim said. “We strive to make the best game we possibly can, and deeply thank all the players and viewers that have taken this journey with us.”
PUBG Corp COO Woonghee Cho added: “We’re honored by the passion and excitement that the PUBG community has shown for the game. Thank you to everyone who has supported PUBG since our Early Access launch in March, and we’re looking forward to making the game an even more enjoyable experience leading into our PC 1.0 and Xbox Game Preview launches in December.”