Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has finally been knocked off the top spot in Japan by Falcom's Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana for the PS4, according to the latest data from Famitsu. The action RPG, which is due to launch in the UK this September, sold 30,764 copies in its first four days on sale, finally dislodging Nintendo's Switch racer from its month-long reign at the top of the charts.
Ys VIII wasn't the only new entry in the charts this week, either. Capcom's Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers beat Arc System Work's Guilty Gear Xrd: Rev 2 to the punch for a place at No.3, after selling 16,781 copies, and Idea Factor's Marginal #4: Road to Galaxy for the Vita debuted at No.8. Koei Tecmo also brought up the rear of the Top Ten with its latest Romance of the Three Kingdoms title for Sony's handheld.
Despite the number of new entries, Monster Hunter XX continued to be a dominant presence in the charts last week, falling to No.5 after a 15 per cent fall in sales week-on-week, and Breath of the Wild fell three places to No.6 despite only experiencing a 6 per cent decline.
Over in the hardware charts, the Switch is still the best-selling machine in Japan, but the number of new PS4 titles last week prompted a 17 per cent rise in sales for Sony's mainline console, as well as a 12 per cent growth in PS4 Pro sales and a 5 per cent bump for the Vita.
Here's the Top 10 software chart in full for the week ending May 28th:
1. Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA, PS4, Falcom, 30,764 (New)
2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Switch, Nintendo, 21,269
3. Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers, Switch, Capcom, 16,781 (New)
4. Guilty Gear Xrd: Rev 2, PS4, Arc System Works, 13,177 (New)
5. Monster Hunter XX, 3DS, Capcom, 9,841
6. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Switch, Nintendo, 7,265
7. Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X, 3DS, BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment, 6,250
8. Marginal #4: Road to Galaxy, Vita, Idea Factory, 4,011 (New)
9. NieR: Automata, PS4, Square Enix, 3,526
10. Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 with Power-Up Kit, Vita, Koei Tecmo Games, 3,280 (New)
And here are the hardware figures for the same period:
Nintendo Switch, 27,440
New Nintendo 3DS LL, 9,784
PS Vita, 4,867
PS4 Pro, 4,697
Nintendo 2DS, 2,851
New Nintendo 3DS, 414
Wii U, 229
Xbox One S, 102