The Wii U release of Super Smash Bros has sent Nintendo's console back up the Japanese hardware charts, according to the latest data from Famitsu.
Nintendo's all-star fighting title, which was released for 3DS in Japan back in September, topped the software rankings in its debut week, knocking fellow Nintendo release Pokmon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire down to second.
The success of the game more than doubled Wii U sales for last week, leaping to 27,191 from 13,533 the week before.
The boost saw Wii U climb two spaces in the hardware chart to second place, overtaking Nintendo's New 3DS.
The New 3DS XL continued to reign in first place, bolstered by three new games on the platform released last week.
This includes Kadokawa Games' Derby Stallion Gold, which told an impressive 70,402 units during its first week. The game sat in third under Pokmon and Super Smash Bros.
Meanwhile, last week's highest-ranking PS3 entry, Resident Evil HD Remaster, was replaced by another PS3 game in fifth – fighting title Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign-.
Here's the Top Ten software rankings for December 1st to December 7th:
- Super Smash Bros for Wii U (Nintendo) Wii U – 244,747 (New)
- Pokmon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (Pokmon Company) 3DS – 167,523
- Derby Stallion Gold (Kadokawa Games) 3DS – 70,402 (New)
- Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign- (Arc System Works) PS3 – 34,068
- AiKatsu! 365-nichi no Idol Days (Bandai Namco Games) 3DS – 33,475 (New)
- Yokai Watch 2: Ganso/Honke (Level 5) 3DS – 25,313
- Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 (Koei Tecmo Games) Vita – 23,644
- Super Smash Bros for 3DS (Nintendo) 3DS – 21,588
- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Capcom) 3DS – 20,564
- Shingeki no Kyojin: Jinrui Saigo no Tsubasa – Chain (Spike Chunsoft) 3DS –19,172 (New)
And here's the weekly hardware chart:
- New Nintendo 3DS XL – 50,534
- Wii U – 27,191
- New Nintendo 3DS – 20,849
- PS Vita – 20,074
- Nintendo 3DS XL – 14,643
- PS4 – 13,040
- Nintendo 3DS – 6,866
- PS3 – 5,061
- Xbox One – 904
- PS Vita TV – 886
- PSP – 79