Ubisoft assumes full ownership of Anno developer

Publish date:

Ubisoft has announced it has wholly acquired Related Designs, one of the studios developing the publisher's Anno franchise.

The firm previously owned nearly 30 per cent of the studio, and has recently purchased the remaining 70 per cent in cash. Terms beyond that information weren't mentioned.

The company states that the development will allow Related Designs to work with joint squad Blue Byte on Anno and other titles, such as Might and Magic Heroes Online.

"This extremely fruitful cooperation can now advance thanks to the joint teams of Blue Byte and Related Designs more easily sharing experiences and resources,” said managing director of Ubisoft Blue Byte, Odile Limpach. Together we will continue developing awesome games, including Might and Magic Heroes Online, which we hope will become a leading free-to-play title for Ubisoft.”

"We're happy to formally join Ubisoft," said managing director of Related Designs, Thomas Pottkmper . "This move validates our longstanding partnership and provides our teams with additional resources to expand upon their great work."

Ubisoft originally acquired the partial stake in Related Designs as part of its purchase of Sunflowers Interactive Entertainment Software.