Having enchanted critics, Warner Bros' Batman: Arkham City has also cast a spell on the British public.
The game is the new UKIE Gfk ChartTrack's All Formats No.1, knocking former chart-topper FIFA 12 into second place. Batman becomes the fourth biggest launch of the year to date behind, FIFA 12, Gears of War 3 and LA Noire, and is Warner's biggest ever UK launch by some distance.
It also doubled the week one sales of predecessor Batman: Arkham Asylum.
Sega's Football Manager 2012 debuts at No.3, coming very, very close to pipping EA's game to second place.
EA's The Sims 3: Pets enters the listings in sixth while Sony's PS3 exclusive Ratcher & Clank: All 4 One manages 24th in its first week. Ubisoft's Dance Juniors manages 29th in its first week while Microsoft's Kinect-only Dance Central 2 just scrapes into the Top 40 in 40th position.
Here's the UK Top 20 for the week ending October 22nd:
1. Batman: Arkham City (Warner)
2. FIFA 12 (EA)
3. Football Manager 2012 (Sega)
4. Forza Motorsport 4 (Microsoft)
5. Just Dance 3 (Ubisoft)
6. The Sims 3: Pets (EA)
7. PES 2012 (Konami)
8. Rage (Bethesda)
9. Zumba Fitness (505 Games)
10. Gears of War 3 (Microsoft)
11. Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure (Activision)
12. F1 2011 (Codemasters)
13. Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
14. LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean (Disney)
15. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Square Enix)
16. Dead Island (Koch Media)
17. Driver: San Francisco (Ubisoft)
18. Dark Souls (Namco Bandai)
19. Jonah Lomu Rugby Challenge (Alternative)
20. Dead Rising 2: Off the Record (Capcom)